Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,288 Posts
I wouldn't mind sharing with someone else's infant or someone sharing with mine, but gosh to get them mixed up like that! I know it can happen, still scary though. That's why in addition to not letting him go away from us I memorized the stork bite on DS's face when I had him in the hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
At our hospital, they have three tags on the baby, two on the mom, one for the dad... every time they come in your room, they ask your name, check the labels, etc... I've not had my baby yet, but my coworker just delivered 3/15 and was helping to ease my mind. They asked her a million questions every time they brought the baby in.

They also tell you exactly what to look for on each nurse's badge, have a board with your nurse's name, and you get ONE nurse per shift. One nurse for each room. I liked that.

We enjoyed that part of the hospital tour. I would be very upset to have someone else feeding my child. And I would be mortified to make the mistake this way!!!

In a high risk situation, yes, I would let someone I knew feed my child. But it's very personal, and I just don't want that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,280 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngeliqueW View Post
Another argument for home birth, IMHO!

: I can think of worse things that could happen at a hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,823 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothieMom View Post
Here's another reason not to let your baby out of your sight.


=================================

New Hampshire hospital officials said a day-old baby was given to the wrong mother, who then breast fed the baby.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...76/detail.html

Hmm, it seemed more to be an anti-breastfeeding article than anything else.

I mean, I guess that's not why it was written but it sure came off that way to me.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,376 Posts
I guess I don't understand why that other woman wouldn't release her medical records. Or at least just consent to a blood draw if she didn't want her entire medical records released.
Why not give this set of parents the info so they can know whether their baby was exposed to anything? Why would a mother put another mother through that worrying?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,687 Posts
Chances of this hurting the child in any way are minimal. The way the article implies that the infant is now in mortal danger because he was fed by a woman not his mother annoys me.

But the idea of mixed up babies when it comes to things like medication, circumcision, and going home is terrifying. And that hospital needs to get it's act together so nothing like this happens again.

When DD was born they had the electronic tags (on my wrist and her ankle) that matched. If she was away from me, like if someone was holding her across the room and then came back the tags played a little tune. Also according to the nurses, if a baby got put in the room with the wrong mother all heck apparently breaks loose at the nurses station in the form of alarms and flashing lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
I just told DH about this...his first response was "well, I suppose the important thing is the baby got nourishment from breastmilk and not formula" man I love my dh!

My hospital also has 3 tags, and I would not let dd out of our site because I had an irrational fear of losing her...lmao
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
I just told DH about this...his first response was "well, I suppose the important thing is the baby got nourishment from breastmilk and not formula" man I love my dh!

My hospital also has 3 tags, and I would not let dd out of our site because I had an irrational fear of losing her...lmao
One of the reasons I absolutely cannot sleep in the hospital...that and the nurses waking us up constantly to "take vitals"--just as soon as I drift off. No wonder I get out of there as soon as medically allowed (24 hours). I'm glad DH will be there this time, maybe I can get some napping in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
ummmmm.... ok
well I agree with pp... at least the child was breastfed. I am sure it is the doctors scaring the parents about HIV and hep.
I would think the mother being so heavily sedated that she could not even care for her own child is more dangerous than the child being fed by another woman!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
At our hospital, they have three tags on the baby, two on the mom, one for the dad... every time they come in your room, they ask your name, check the labels, etc... I've not had my baby yet, but my coworker just delivered 3/15 and was helping to ease my mind. They asked her a million questions every time they brought the baby in.

They also tell you exactly what to look for on each nurse's badge, have a board with your nurse's name, and you get ONE nurse per shift. One nurse for each room. I liked that.

We enjoyed that part of the hospital tour. I would be very upset to have someone else feeding my child. And I would be mortified to make the mistake this way!!!

In a high risk situation, yes, I would let someone I knew feed my child. But it's very personal, and I just don't want that.
the hospital i was in was very much like that. there are no nurseries in our hospitals. the head nurse used that room for her office and they did baths there and had a couple incubators for emergencies. the baby wears a band around his ankle that alerts you if he goes past the elevator and you can't leave unless your baby's bracelet matches yours. i'm pretty sure they did the one nurse per room and they told you to check badges as well.
there was also a birthing center within. i don't even know where to go should i ever need their emergency room!
i wonder why the other mom wouldn't release her medical records? i certainly would, if it made another mama feel better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,103 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Chances of this hurting the child in any way are minimal. The way the article implies that the infant is now in mortal danger because he was fed by a woman not his mother annoys me.

But the idea of mixed up babies when it comes to things like medication, circumcision, and going home is terrifying. And that hospital needs to get it's act together so nothing like this happens again.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
807 Posts
i gave birth at a hospital that doesn't even have a newborn nursery! DH was with her every second that she wasn't with me (for the daily weigh in and what not) so this would not have happened to us... thank goodness!

i think it's pretty weird that the nurser wouldn't at least allow a blood draw. if i did end up in that situation, i would just have them do the test for HIV/HEP B for peace of mind.
i think the father is a little nutty... breastmilk =/= poison...
if he'd been with his baby the whole time, this never could have happened!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top