Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh and I need to choose between Memorial and Penrose-St. Francis in the Springs for this baby's birth. I like the Birth Center at Penrose but had a bad ER experience there, whereas I had a good ER experience at Memorial but didn't think too much about their LDR area.

I'm desperately hoping that the Memorial North (off of Briargate) expansion project is finished early because we actually live in Monument and CS is a bit of a drive.

Anyone used either of these hospital maternity wards or know of someone who has?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I delivered at Memorial Hospital for both of my sons. That's where my OB, Dr. John Baer, delivers, and he is awesome.

Penrose Community on Academy Blvd has the L&D ward. Penrose Main on Cascade does not. I have friends who delivered there who liked their experiences there. One of my friends was there for a week with pre-eclampsia, and delivered her baby 6 weeks early. Both mom and baby are happy and healthy.

The first time my OB was out of town, his partner came to the delivery, and I got a crappy L&D nurse, and ended up with a C-section. We shared a room for 6 hours, she checked out and then we had a private room for the rest of the 4 days I was there.

The second time my OB delivered, I had a fantastic L&D nurse (Tracy) and had a VBAC. I never had to share my room.

The lactation consultant I saw there both times was AWESOME. The nurses in the nursery were GREAT.

The one advantage to Memorial is their NICU. If there are any serious problems with the baby after birth, there is a possibility that you will be at Penrose and your baby could be at Memorial.

My only issue with Penrose is that I was thinking of getting my tubes tied after my 2nd baby IF I had to get another C-section. It's a strict Catholic hospital, and from what I understand they won't do any birth control procedures.

If Dr. Baer delivered at Penrose, then that's where I would have delivered. A good OB is essential for a great birth experience.

Hope that helps!
Maida

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, that helps me out tremendously. We are leaning towards Memorial because I am going to have my tubes ties and my OB did make me aware of Penrose' policy on that.

I really appreciate your willingness to type out a long post and point out some good and bad things about both hospitals. Your point about the nurses is dead on, I totally understand that they really can make or break a birth plan.

Thanks again for your input!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, knowing that, I would definitely say Memorial would be your choice.

You have some time to visit both though, and see how you feel after checking them out in person.

Please stop by www.westsidemoms.org/forums. We have a few members in Monument and they occasionally get together for playdates up there. One of our moms in Monument recently delivered twins naturally with Dr. Baer at Memorial.

Good luck to you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts