Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 32 weeks pg and would really like a vbac. My doctor thinks I'm a great candidate and is all for it (she had 2 vbacs herself). The problem is there are only 2 hospitals in the county and neither one allows vbacs - actually refuses to do them - therefore my doctor is not allowed to do it. Even if I was to present at 9 cm, hospital policy requires emergency C-section. I am a registered nurse that worked in L&D before having my son a few years ago and am not completely comfortable with non-nurse midwives, therefore in my community that rules out home birth. If we drove 45-60 minutes to Santa Cruz and I changed my OB (one with hospital priv's in SC), I could maybe do it. My questions are: do you think it's safe to commute that far? should I just go with what is planned (scheduled C/S)? am I crazy to change providers this late? will recovery really be that much easier (2 yr old son - nursing and cosleeping, etc...)? I get such mixed messages from everyone... please give me your honest feedback.
Thank you...

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I drove four hours to have my vbac where I wanted to have it. But it was also a homebirth, away from home.

It's never too late to change providers, but what I would probably do in your situation, is to continue with the prenatal care your ob is providing, as long as she remains supportive of your desire to vbac. AND, I would hire a "non-nurse" midwife and plan a homebirth (it's really quite safe - http://gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homesafe.html ). I'd suggest you go and at least talk with some midwives in your area. Forget the medical profession's bias against them, and think about why it is that you have a problem with them. I would never consent to another cesarean without any real medical reason (that is, life and death situation).

But that's just me. You have to make your own decisions based on what is best for you in your unique situation. Yes, recovery from my vbac really was that much easier than after my cesarean. There really is no comparison!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Visit www.ican-online.org they have some great info on VBAC's. I changed providers at 37 weeks for my vbac. So it is never to late. The hospitals in my area will not allow VBAC's any longer here. We are ttc #3 and will be planning a homebirth. Have you looked into a homebirth? Contact some of the midwives in your area and see what they say. Even when I planned my hospital vbac I lived about 30 minutes from the hospital in very good traffic.
As for the recovery I had a horrible time with my c/s so my vbac was amazing. With my c/s I was in pain for months and my vbac I went on a walk the next day, a short one

Allison

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
you can probably drive that far and be ok have you driven it during rush hour? do you know any back roads? if you have a baby in an hour you probably wouldn't really make it even to the local hospital in time.

I think you need to feel comfortable with your choice- something else I would say is that it is unless you agree to the surgery and you are not unconscious they cannot touch you to do surgery it is assault and they know full well it is. just read doctors talking about this on another list-and you can sue them for a not medically indicated c-section (this is a form of malpractice)

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
I don't know of any women personally but belong to an online group where several of the women were wheeled into surgery screaming I do not consent. I am unsure of the details though.

Allison

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Allison: I'm in Canada, not the US, but your post applies somewhat to me. The last thing I said before being wheeled into OR for my first cesarean in 1993 was "I don't want a f***ing c-section". I said it over and over again...I never consented to the surgery. I suspect that I technically did consent, as I'm sure there was some kind of rider in the hospital admission forms...but I absolutely did not consent specifically to the surgery. It's not a good feeling to look back on something like that, and makes me wonder what else goes on in hospitals.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your reply. As a nurse (L&D) I really want all equipment and monitoring necessary to catch a problem early - I am not afraid of a C/S - I just don't want to end up under general with a baby in danger and bleeding out (UR) due to lack of montitoring. Also, pain control is an issue I don't want to deal with in labor - if I need medication, so be it. My doctor's view is definite IV, monitoring and epidural - just in case - I agree. In Monterey county there are a couple midwives, however they are not certified nurse midwives, therefore to the best of my knowledge they don't have physician backup/support - just drive you to the hospital and get the on-call doctor. Santa Cruz, next county up the road, is a different story. I'm calling around again today - once my decision is made, I just need to find a new OB.

My main reason for wanting a vbac is recovery ease and comfort for my older son. With a 2 yr old and a new baby - I NEED to be able to carry my babes and move around. Simple everyday stuff - getting DS out of tub, into car seat, nursing at night, moving his sleeping feet out of my face/hair/small of my back at night, etc... how can anyone go a week without picking up their older child???

I really wish I felt more comfortable with homebirth - it really would be the best situation for my family and recovery. I just worry about the lack of medical backup, lack of options available at home (emergency supplies, pain control and monitoring) and lack of certified nurse-midwives in my area.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hjshan
I really wish I felt more comfortable with homebirth - it really would be the best situation for my family and recovery. I just worry about the lack of medical backup, lack of options available at home (emergency supplies, pain control and monitoring) and lack of certified nurse-midwives in my area.
I hear you, and I would make this suggestion: Meet and talk with a non-nurse midwife. See what the vibe is that you get. I, too, had all of these preconceived notions about non-nurse midwives, but when I met them, I couldn't believe the amount of expertise these women had. It was awe-inspiring.

Also, if you want constant monitoring, perhaps the midwife can accomodate that. Some places (like a birthing center) do have the set up for that sort of thing, it's just that mamas who choose to have a BC or home birth don't want it. They may make considerations for you because this is a fear of yours.

I'd also second the traveling notion.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

My doctor's view is definite IV, monitoring and epidural - just in case - I agree.

I hate to say it, but if you agree with this course of action you're setting yourself up for a section.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
My first 2 were vaginal deliveries, my 3rd was a c-section. With my first 2, I was around 2 days later, with my 3rd, it was weeks until I was functional, months until I felt normal. If you're looking for an easier recovery, I'd def go for the vbac, however you need to.

As far as the hospital not allowing them, but your doc is willing to do them- why just not consent to the surgery- tell them that you willl sue if they come at you with a scapel and you're not consenting to surgery. Esp if you show up crowning, kwim? Hopsitals are very concerned about lawsuits, I'm assuming that's why they have a no vbac policy in the first place? If you're an L&D nurse, you should be able to figure out the loopholes, right?

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Quote:

My main reason for wanting a vbac is recovery ease and comfort for my older son. With a 2 yr old and a new baby - I NEED to be able to carry my babes and move around. Simple everyday stuff - getting DS out of tub, into car seat, nursing at night, moving his sleeping feet out of my face/hair/small of my back at night, etc... how can anyone go a week without picking up their older child???
I know exactly what you mean. When I had my second child, my son was 10, so none of those issues applied - ds actually helped me with his baby sister. But, I'm worried about how I'm going to handle dd if I do end up with a third section. Fortunately, my OB is being supportive of VBA2C...I wish my family doctor were doing the same...

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Storm Bride,
I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I also wonder what goes in in hospitals. My c/s was an "emergency" because my daughter was breech. I had been in the hosp for three days and checked, palpitated by who knows how many doctors and nurses and they still didn't know she was breech until I was pushing. I don't remember the first 12 hours of her life from the general anesthesia.

Allison

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I'm a registered nurse and I have seen hundreds of births. While I was in nursing school there were 2 midwives going to nursing school (in my class) so that they could legally practice (certified, insured, etc.) in CA. I feel like the medical training has some major benefits and community respect. I have seen many necessary C/Ss, women hemmorhage, hung many blood transfusions and unfortunately seen fetal deaths occur - this is simply reality - hospital or home things can happen. I feel that having all/any life saving services available (even though MOST mamas and babes DON'T need them) is really smart. Also, I am not against pain medication if that will make things easier, more enjoyable or progress. One of my last deliveries as a working RN was a mom who went overterm and tried to deliver at home - she was not monitored and the baby ended up with major brain injuries (life long!) due to lack of O2 and placental age. The baby spent it's first 2 months in the NICU. The mom and midwive felt things were progressing fine, the husband (scared to death) stepped in and forced her into going to the hospital. This mom didn't want a C/S as she was being RUSHED into surgery AND begged for us to dim the lights - hmm... I feel the health and wellness of our children is so much more important than anything else - she and her baby were lucky to live. I, as a nurse, believe a complete team approach is best - if things are normal then a nurse midwive is all that is needed, BUT should complications arise - give me and my baby what we need - prepare for anything. I admit to being a bit biased - sorry.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Holly - I feel like I understand what you're saying, and where you're coming from. I'm uncomfortable with a homebirth as well, and live near a hospital that won't perform vbac. However, I am also against routine IV and constant monitoring. My compromise, that makes me comfortable, has been to find a birth center with cnms and non-cn midwives, where they have things like periodic monitoring and oxygen available, but I can have a drug-free waterbirth on my own schedule. It's VERY close to a major teaching hospital with 24 hour residents who could do an emergency c-section if the need occured. I am driving an hour to get there, for each visit and also for labor. As for changing care providers...I actually had NO prenatal care for the first 17 weeks, because I couldn't find anyone who would help me to vbac! And I refused to start seeing someone who would set me back up on the elective repeat course...::
::: Just food for thought - if there is a birth center anywhere around you, it might be a good middle ground for you. My midwife has attended over 10,000 births over the last 30 years, here and abroad - I really feel like she has got the knowledge and experience to recognize complications. I hope you come up with a good solution, for you.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Well, if you feel that hospitals are the only safe place to birth then you trust their decision making. If you trust their decision making then I don't understand why you don't believe them that a repeat section is the way to go?
It sounds like I'm being ornery, but really I'm not (well, not for me at least :LOL)

Personally I go for research over propaganda and everything I've read shows that most births are safer at home.

Good luck with your decision!

-Angela

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonK
Storm Bride,
I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I also wonder what goes in in hospitals. My c/s was an "emergency" because my daughter was breech. I had been in the hosp for three days and checked, palpitated by who knows how many doctors and nurses and they still didn't know she was breech until I was pushing. I don't remember the first 12 hours of her life from the general anesthesia.

Allison
Almost exactly the same here...except that I laboured at home until my mom and ex convinced me that I wasn't progressing normally. I walked to the hospital and discovered that I was almost 10cm dilated...and my son was in a frank breech position. And - WHAM - emergency c-section. DS was delivered about half an hour after I checked in at the front desk. I saw him for about 10 seconds in the hallway when I left post-op, and didn't see him again until late the next morning. That's just not the way you want the early hours with your baby to go...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts