Mothering Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
I had a vbac 3 1/2 weeks ago. I chose it over a repeat c/s in part because I wanted a faster recovery. I wanted to be away from my 3 yr old dd as short a time as possible and not be limited in what activities I could do. Well, I still ended up having a 2 night hospital stay because ds had pathologic jaundice and had to stay another night and I wasn't going home without him. I also suffered a 3rd degree laceration and my recovery has been slower and more painful than with my c/s. Having experienced both types of births, I now realize that there are definitely advantages and disadvantages to both and sometimes it's not possible to know in advance what those will be because each labor and birth is unique.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

· Registered
2,911 Posts
I never thought I'd want to try a HB. I never had anything in particular against doctors and hospitals until I came to the USA and had a baby. I'm into natural living but I'm not a particuarly spiritual kinda of gal. After my last c/s for malpositioning and FTP or failure to do anything other than tie me to a bed with a drip/epidural/pitocin etc..., I'm wanting to do everything in my power to avoid another c/s. I am afraid of another c/s because among other things, they sewed a nerve into my faschia? muscle? or something and I couldn't move for 2 weeks. I had to be readmitted. Now that I have a 2.5 yr old, the thought of that kind of recovery again fills me with absolute terror.

It's funny though, as soon as i got pregnant, I knew I couldn't go back into a hospital here. (Of course if there was a reason, a complication, I would but not for a normal childbirth). There are 4 birth centers in my area and they won't take VBACs.

So I found a CNM who is an hour away. I'm comfortable with that. She's very experienced. My nearest ER is 10 mins away and has a NICU. I do appreciate the low but real risk of UR. One thing that helped me was considering the role of fetal monitoring. Last labor, they had great trouble monitoring me with the belt (funny they seemed to expect me to keep still for 15 mins LOL). I think they said my placenta was in front of the baby or something. I've also heard of instances where fetal monitoring has not picked up distress - relying ONLY on technology isn't safe I think. Not to mention the high rate of false positives with fetal monitoring when interpreted by an OB in a hospital. I'm quite happy to have my CNM monitor me regularly throughout labor and I feel that between her experience and her actually being present during the labor (unlike most hospital staff) and my own knowledge and feelings, we could detect any sign of UR and get to the hospital in time. Few URs are catastrophic. According to ICAN, of the ~.5% of URs in VBACs, only 10% of those involved damage to the baby. There is also that .2% chance of UR with a repeat c/s too. I've wondered how these stats compare to the chance of mother and babe being killed or injured while nervous dad is driving them to the hospital. On the other hand you can read stories of medical errors and hospital infections and newborns dying from that. Also a low risk but a real risk. I'm terrible - if there is a risk or danger, then I've thought of it.

I also prefer to use a CNM because of the medical training. I have nothing against CPMs and I'm sure you can find some CPMs who are better than some CNMs. I'd rather an experienced CPM than an inexperienced CNM anyday. However it's hard enough finding and picking a midwife without having to assess her emergency skills - I feel the CNM tag gives some assurance of this.

No choice we make is going to be risk free. You just need a find a decision that you're comfortable with.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you for all your suggestions and replies. We have finally made a decision that I feel really good about - we are changing doctors, driving the 45-60 minutes to Santa Cruz, plan on having a vbac at a great birth center and I just found/hired a doula. My DS is welcome to stay in the room the entire time or only at night (big issue for us) and my insurance will cover most of this (another big/huge issue).

I'm sorry if I came across as being closed minded or judgemental. Coming from a family of physicians and myself being educated/trained as a nurse, I put a very high value on education and credentialing. With non-certified providers I feel like something may be lacking in their knowledge base (I'm most likely way off - not the 1st time). If delivering babes is your calling why not do that but also go through the schooling necessary to be certified? I've read the satistics and I agree, most births are much smoother with a midwive (cert or non) however, I still couldn't have enough life saving equipment and support. I will not take any chances with my kids.

Anyway, it was a hard decision for me. I had a lot of very conficting information being presented. Depending on who asked, I was either called irresponsible for even risking the <1% chance of problems to being crazy for wanting a hospital setting - almost to the point of accusing hospital workers of wanting to do harm. I guess like everything else in parenting, there is 'no one' way to do anything! Thanks again.

· Registered
1,317 Posts
Holly,
Don't apologize for your views. Many people feel the same way as you and it sounds like you know what you need to help you birth this baby comfortably.
I was going to suggest Sutter in S cruz ( i used to live there ). it is an awesome place and I have known many people who have had great birthing experiences there. They use cloth diapers on every baby there, for God's sake!! You can't get much better than that place.It is comfortable, liberal, yet they can deal with any emergency that arises.
Good luck.
- kerri

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.