Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't have a specific suggestion for herbs/natural solutions, but a great book recommendation that I think might give you some ideas. It's Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. I particularly like her book because the descriptions of the female cycle are woman-centered and rename horrifying terms like "hostile cervical environment" into more accurate and truly descriptive phrases, depending on what is actually happening. That phrase is not, unfortunately, a clear diagnosis or even an accurate description of what might (or might not) be going on. No woman's cervix is hostile, that's just insane. However, that phrase is codified into medical terminology, so I totally understand your wanting to go another route to deal with it! Bleah!

Since you didn't describe the situation which led to your hearing you have this, it's possible that any number of solutions might work. For example, when I was told it was my problem, the ACTUAL problem was that I had been on Clomid (a fertility drug) so long that it dried up my cervical fluid and NOTHING could swim through there! Additionally, the post-coital test that was done to check it was done on the wrong day of the cycle, so there was no chance of getting an accurate, much less a positive reading.

I include my experience just to demonstrate that when one receives a "diagnosis" that in its very terminology is inaccurate and woman-hating (I forget the big word for that), looking for natural solutions is a great idea, and Toni's book is a great start if you don't have it yet.

Good luck!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi

assuming that this unpleasant diagnosis refers to too thick or lacking mucus, or wrong ph I would think that the fertility classic Red Clover would be a good start. I think you can use throughout your cycle but you should check. You could also try green tea until ovulation. You could try guaifenesin extract. You could try raw carrots.
Make sure you drink a lot of water.
If your cycles are not regular, you could try vitex too.

You can also use "intimate moisturisers" such as pre-seed (check online for where to buy), or Replens (one midwife told me it's sperm friendly)

You can research ph issues. Normal sperm is alkaline (the opposite of acidic), about 7.5 is normal (neutral ph is 5.5, lower is aciditc). Some foods encourage neutral/alkaline ph, which is more sperm friendly. Most raw and natural foods do that (processed, greasy, salty foods make you acidic).

Last, I agree with AmyY, it's a pretty generic and uninformative diagnosis, you may want to ask for more info...

good luck

M

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
Another vote for the TCOYF book and to get more information re: your dx. good luck!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Hi there. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "hostile cervical environment" but I'm guessing that it's cm related. right?
I ttc'd for 20 mos before I got pg with ds. I am convinced that cm was the problem- I never got ewcm, or even close really. My doc said that it "is rarely the problem". Well ok, but if it's rarely the problem, doesn't that mean that sometimes it is?!? (sorry, I got into a rant there)
Anyways, what I did the month that I got pg:
I ate carrots like they were going out of style. I read that vitamin A really helps cm. (I only tried this for 2 of the 20 mos ttc)
I took Vitamin E pills. There are foods you can eat if you prefer not to take pills (I only did this for the same 2 mos ttc)
I did the robitussin thing- but I did that for many mos too.
I drank green tea, but this I also did for many many mos, and didn't see that it really made a difference. The only thing it really did was make me hate green tea

Also, from 7dpo to 14 dpo I ate a ton of pineapple. I read that it helps with implantation.
I don't know if any of this is true, speculation, old wives tales or what. But I figured that at least with the food items it couldn't hurt. kwim?
I did notice that the 2 months in a row that I ate carrots, took vitamin E, and took robitussin that my cm was better. not quite ewcm, but close. And that was when I got pg. So.....

I hope that some of this helps

Becky
Keagan 11 mos

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Just wanted to wish you good luck in conceiving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts