Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a friend who is willing to give us a 1 year old 6-person hot tub for free. (He is moving and doesn't want to take it with him!) It sounds great, except for all the chemicals.<br><br>
Does anyone w/a pool or spa use more natural ways of keeping the water fresh and clear?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
First I'd find out what kind it is and what kinds of disinfection systems might be built into it already. A lot of newer ones have ozone and/or silver ion disinfection systems. You're usually supposed to use a few chemicals anyway, but having the UV and silver ion makes what you need way less. Also, if you change the water more often (usually it's supposed to be about every three months) then you can probably get by with fewer chemicals. I'm curious to see if anyone has any totally chemical-free ways of maintaining them, though. The problem is that you put some organic matter (skin cells, hair, body oils) into the water and then leave it at 104 degrees, and it's a really good incubator for bacteria.

·
Banned
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an acrylic spa. It does have an O3 system, so that will cut down on some of the chemicals. Just wondering if there was anything else. I feel kind of sketchy about putting DD in there with the bromine and other chemicals.

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Check into the mineral products that are sold in bags, although I'm not sure you can use them with an o3 system or not? Double check at the spa store or your manufacturers website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts