Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello mama's,

A friend of mine gave me a stretch hotsling, size 3. According to all the size calculators I've used, that's my size. I'm about 5'9", pre-pregnancy weight was about 140, and my shoulder to hip measurment is 24 inches. That puts me squarely in a size 3. But when I put it on, it feels SO TIGHT! I tried putting one of my son's dolls in it, and it felt like the doll was smushed up against me.... I can't see how a baby could breath like that.

It's a used hotsling, so maybe it was washed and has shrunk? Is there any way I can tell if it fits before the baby is born? I'd really like to have a hotsling for immediately after the baby is born. I'm considering buying a new size 4 to have on hand, since this one seems to be so tight....

Melanie

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think there might be the possibility that it shrunk. If according to your measurements that you're a dead on size 3, then I would go for a size 3
Though best thing would be to either find a store nearby to try it on or maybe measure the sling you have and see if it will compare to other size 3's.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Those calculators aren't perfect. if the sling doesn't feel good to you, then it is probably not a good fit. You want the bottom of the sling to hit around your belly button level, and it shouldn't be super hard to get the baby (or doll) into the sling.

Especially since you're fairly tall, it wouldn't surprise me if you needed a larger size. Most of the women I see wearing size 3 are in the 5'3"-5'6" range.

Where do you live? There may be a NINO group near you, and you could find someone who would let you try on their size 4, just to see the difference.

HTH!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Personally, I think it is hard to get sizing down on a non-adjustable pouch when you are pregnant. Also, it may not fit immediately post-partum since you still carry quite a bit of pregnancy weight after giving birth. If it does, you may find it eventually too big. It's the luck of the draw.

You are already in the middle of your pregnancy so you probably have a considerable bump. There is a chance that the pouch you have could fit once you give birth. Your baby will be cuddled and snug in a pouch and be about belly button level.

Try measuring the top rail measurement of your pouch. It should be 24". Although, there may be some variance since these pouches are made by human hands.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! I'm going to go measure the sling now to see if it shrunk. I will look up a NINO group, too. I'd love to try a few hotslings on, rather than just guess and order one. My belly is large, but I'm carrying VERY low, so I don't think that's affecting how the sling feels when I try it on now. The rest of me (including my boobs) is still pre-pregnancy size, so I'd think I could get a feel for it......

Well, if all else fails, I've got a ring sling I can use right after baby is born and until I get a hotsling that fits.

Thanks again!

melanie

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I washed my Hotsling, and it shrunk horribly. I let a friend borrow my size 3--she's about 5'5" and about 120 lbs, and her very average size four week old wouldn't even fit in there!

You could always get a size 4 for your newborn and save the smaller one for a hip carry later.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, I was going to post here precisely about Hotsling size 3! DS is 3.5 weeks old and the size 3 seemed too small when she was hardly two weeks old. I kept trying it, but I just couldn't get her to fit comfortably in it. I am also a dead-on size 3, according to their calculator and pretty comfortable with slings [baby #2]. I ended up exchanging it for a size 4, which hasn't arrived. I think maybe my baby is too big [about 10lbs already] or maybe I am just so used to the Nojo and OTSBH I used for DS...
Anybody else seem like a dead-on size 3 then got a bigger size and it worked out? I LOVE the slings, as they are so beautiful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts