Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is coming to stay with us for three weeks. She will sleep in dd's room on the futon. Normally, dd (who is 9 mo) and I sleep on the futon in her room, while dh sleeps in the bedroom. Both dd and I are somewhat claustrophobic and need a lot of room to sleep - we can sleep with one other person in the bed, but three is a crowd. We tried for the first six months of dd's life to sleep all together in one bed, but we could never get enough sleep - too much discomfort and night waking. So dh and I have been sleeping in separate rooms ever since, which we're both cool with. Last week, dh tried sleeping on the futon with dd and I. Both DD and I kept waking up. While my sister is staying with us, I suppose dh, dd, and I can sleep together in one bed . . . but nobody will get much sleep this way. Can somebody figure out another arrangement? Oh, and I should mention that I do have a big couch in the living room but nobody can sleep there because that's where my five birds sleep (they wake up very early and are very noisy). So making somebody sleep on the couch is not really an option. Buying a king size bed might solve the problem, but money is too tight right now.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Have you considered making a pallet on the floor? Probably for your sister, or maybe your husband.

You can buy a couple of camp pads pretty cheap, stack them on top of each other. Or even just good quality carpet pad will do (maybe doubled). A nice matress pad on top makes it a bit softer. Then put sheets, pillow, blankets as needed on the "bed". This is probably your cheapest option for providing another sleeping space.

Or you might consider buying an air bed. They have some really nice ones now. More expensive than the camp pad or carpet pad pallet, but more bed-like. (But to me, not as comfortable as a good pallet.)

·
Banned
1,944 Posts
Yeah...I second about the air matress...

Is there another room in your house (a third bedroom or a family room) where you could place an air matress for your sister?

And if not, then maybe an air matress on the floor in your bedroom for you and your DD or you DH?

You can get a relatively comfortable air matress from Wal-Mart or Target for about $75...and I know money is tight for you right now, but it might be a worthwhile investment...and WAY cheaper than a new King sized bed. LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an air matress tucked away in storage somewhere. I'll have to drag it out if I can't get comfy enough. But anyway, for the past 2 nights, I took the matress from dd's crib (she has never slept in that crib) and put it on the floor of our bedroom. I put a body pillow next to it and slept on the pillow while dd slept on the matress. When she fell into deep sleep, I slipped away onto the bed with dh. So far, this is working.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacygalore View Post
I have an air matress tucked away in storage somewhere. I'll have to drag it out if I can't get comfy enough. But anyway, for the past 2 nights, I took the matress from dd's crib (she has never slept in that crib) and put it on the floor of our bedroom. I put a body pillow next to it and slept on the pillow while dd slept on the matress. When she fell into deep sleep, I slipped away onto the bed with dh. So far, this is working.

i hope that this continues to work for you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.