Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh and I are trying to figure what area to buy in. He works in Chamblee, right off of 85 south of 285. We currrently live in Marietta. Near 75, 285 delk, and powers ferry rd. We rent. We aren't familier with any other neighborhoods. We can go up to $$160,000.00 We're looking for something in a 'hood with sidewalks, that's pedestrian friendly. We like our are now, the houses just seem overpriced. We're not sure where to start. We LOVE decatur (near the square) but aren't sure what area's are ok, and which are still kind off bad. I'd love to live in an area with a central town square area, and good county kid activities (swimming, gymnastics, t-ball)

Please help. A friend mentioned Snellville, but we are clueless. Tucker? Where do we start? Thanks mama's!

Oh, and we DO NOT want to go N. of the perimeter up 75. Traffic kills us!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rec. We'll check it out. There's an article in the AJC about that area today. We don't really know where it is, but that's what the internet's for! Is this an area you live in? Do you know someone who does? DO you know anything about Dekalb county taxes? Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I live 1 mile outside Clarkston city limits (I'm technically STone Moutain -- but I've received mail saying Clarkston). I really like the area -- houses are still in your price range, although some of the newly built stuff is in the mid 200's I hear.

It's down east ponce past the farmer's market if you're coming from Decatur. You can also access it using various 285 exits.

The taxes are better than fulton -- but other than that I've got no idea. I could look and see what % we were assessed this year. I know several people who have moved into the area recently (past 5 years) one is a fellow MDC mom -- mamasoulsista. Another is my childhood friend from Fayetteville -- you can imagine how amused we were to discover we live only 2 miles apart now. Anyway, the area has a great deal of diversity.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I live in Snellville. It has no town square, although they are building one. What you can get out here is a brand new house with lots of room in a neighborhood with sidewalks (although you can't walk anywhere but around the neighborhood), a pool, and tennis courts. There are lots of parks and lots of activities through the county rec dept. Occasionally, there are movie and concerts at parks. The area is becoming very diverse and the schools are good. My husband works in Chamblee as well, his commute takes between 30mins and 1 hr. Traffic is not bad yet on 78.

Downside: Suburbs! Almost everyone is really conservative (if thats not your thing). Nearest farmers market is 30 mins away. Crappy movies and restaurants. Massive ammount of Chevy Suburbans with Bush stickers and hunting decals.

It just depends on what you want. We have a nice house and got to pick everything out. Thats what we wanted and this is where we could afford it. When we have more money, we intend to move closer intown.

Good luck!

ETA: I posted this because you mentioned Snellville in your OP!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts