Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a poodle pup for about 2.5 weeks now, and we are trying valiantly to housebreak her. I understand that she is a baby (10.5 weeks) and she pees constantly, has accidents, etc. We try to get her outside on a schedule that syncs with her eating and waking times, etc. Here is my issue: I can't always get her outside on time. I have 3 kids, my house is currently under construction for renovation of the entire 2nd floor, ( I know, bad timing but what can you do?) and I am a student, etc. Craziness! One wise older friend who has raised many dogs told me to paper train her for now, and when she is older she will prefer going outside. It is just to give her somewhere in the house to go while she is still sooo young. We will continue to take her out of course, but I laid some paper in the kitchen and she does go there... I feel it just gives her somewhere to go when I don't take her out, my fault not hers, etc. Thoughts? We are using lots of praise, and I think she is catching on, am I correct to assume she IS just a little baby and it takes patience and time... Some other friends really look down on paper training and accuse me of teaching her my house is her toilet... It is not quite like that, I see it more like giving a cat a litter box. We gate her in the kitchen for elimination and don't just let her roam and pee everywhere... She hangs out with us in
: other rooms after she has "gone".

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
I'm pretty dead against paper training. Are you using a crate? If you aren't using a crate then yeah, you're going to be hard pressed to get very far unless you can commit 95% of your time to the puppy for at least a month.
Paper training is teaching the dog that it's ok to go in the house and that can really mess with their mind later when you take the paper away. Also, you are asking the puppy to differentiate between the paper you want her to go on and maybe your kids books, the magazine you're reading or even todays newpaper.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
I'm pretty dead against paper training. Are you using a crate? If you aren't using a crate then yeah, you're going to be hard pressed to get very far unless you can commit 95% of your time to the puppy for at least a month.
Paper training is teaching the dog that it's ok to go in the house and that can really mess with their mind later when you take the paper away. Also, you are asking the puppy to differentiate between the paper you want her to go on and maybe your kids books, the magazine you're reading or even todays newpaper.
I totally agree. The crate is like the dogs own safe den and she will not want to soil in it. The pup may cry when you first put her in, but she will quickly learn to like it. When you cannot have an eye on her, she should be kept in the crate. Whe you take her out of the crate, take her outside immediately to her "spot" and use a command, like "go pee". If she goes, say "Good pee!!" and give her lots of love and praise. When she catches on, the time out of the crate can be made longer. I have a 10 week old poodle, and it is working so well for us. She only has about 1 accident a day now, and these are totally my fault, because I forgot to take her out, or was not watching her.
I currently take my pup out once in the night, so that she will not soil her crate, and she has never soiled it.
One other thing, make sure the crate is small enough for her just to be able to turn around in it. We had a larger crate at the beginning, and she would pee on one side and sleep on the other. We switched to a smaller one, and she has not soiled her crate since.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
For the record, I am all for crate training - but get a book and really understand it. There is a right way, and there are a lot of wrong ways.

We did paper training and it worked fine. My dog was not confused, he almost never had an accident and it was no trouble to transition him to going outside.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She does have a snuggly little crate, essential as I also have 3 kids and it helps them understand that that is her place to be alone. She has liked it since day 1, and it was invaluable for teaching her to sleep thru the night (well from about 11-5am).. But I dont keep her in it during the day except to nap, or when I leave the house or can't keep an eye on her. I am home full time with my son, so we are generally here and she roams a bit. I do gate her in the kitchen after she eats, in case I don't get her out to poop in time. I try to estimate this based on when she ate, but it is not exact. She does seem to understand that the paper is for peeing on, though she is also starting to cry at the door which is very helpful. I have her on as much of a schedule as my life can manage. The paper just helps sometimes when I have a day where I can't take her out as often as she needs..

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiteNicole
For the record, I am all for crate training - but get a book and really understand it. There is a right way, and there are a lot of wrong ways.

We did paper training and it worked fine. My dog was not confused, he almost never had an accident and it was no trouble to transition him to going outside.
You were very lucky, paper training is one of the most common reasons for housebreaking failure and likely the third most common reasons that behaviorists like myself get consulted.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Another NAY vote for paper here.

For MOST dogs, it causes confusion as pps have said.

there will always be a success story here & there.

Now I do know of some folks litter training the toy breeds with success!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julielenore
I totally agree. The crate is like the dogs own safe den and she will not want to soil in it.
One other thing, make sure the crate is small enough for her just to be able to turn around in it. We had a larger crate at the beginning, and she would pee on one side and sleep on the other. We switched to a smaller one, and she has not soiled her crate since.
Not working for us. My pup is 5 mo. old and pees/poops freely in both of her crates even though I take her out frequently, clean and deoderize the crates between times, etc. She just doesn't like going outside, I guess. It's a huge source of frustration and stress for me, neither of which I need right now.
Not to be a buzzkill, but IMHO crate training isn't the magic bullet it's billed as. Hoping for better results for you.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
You were very lucky, paper training is one of the most common reasons for housebreaking failure and likely the third most common reasons that behaviorists like myself get consulted.

I find that odd. I've done it with my own dogs and help train a few others the same way. Perhaps it's because I'm dead consistant and on top of things, but it's never been an issue, IMO.

Of course, if you just put down paper and hope for the best then yes, it's going to be a problem

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The other tool we use is a couple of gates to gate her in the kitchen. This lets her know that the paper is in there and other rooms are off limits to poop and pee! I had heard about little doggies having a full on litter box, but this does not interest me. I am just using paper until she is a bit older... I wish I could be super consistent about running outside so often, but truthfully I have too much to keep on top of as it is... I do my best to get her out about 6 times a day, but I inevitably miss here and there and she has the paper as backup. I don't use paper as an excuse not to take her out regularly. So far so good, she is only 10 weeks and is doing pretty well considering she has only been with us for 2. Incidentally, the breeder trained her to paper as well, so she came to us used to peeing on newspaper... I do take her to the same spot to "go", and she is getting to the point where she pees almost instantly when we get there!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by griffin2004
Not working for us. My pup is 5 mo. old and pees/poops freely in both of her crates even though I take her out frequently, clean and deoderize the crates between times, etc. She just doesn't like going outside, I guess. It's a huge source of frustration and stress for me, neither of which I need right now.
Not to be a buzzkill, but IMHO crate training isn't the magic bullet it's billed as. Hoping for better results for you.
5 mos is still pretty young for some breed to potty train.
How much time doe pup sprnd in the crate?

Baby gating can be OK for the Larger breeds

10 weeks is super young for most dogs to be totally potty trained.
Heck, I would not even worry about it...
some of my pups were not let go to new homes until 10-12 weeks!!
I thought you were talking about a 10 mo old dog!! I read your post too fast

as with potty training a child... each pup is different & will go on it's own schedule/
I've had some potty train by 4 mos & others not til 6/7 mos.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polka123
5 mos is still pretty young for some breed to potty train.
How much time does pup sprnd in the crate?
She is a French bulldog. I haven't read that they are slow trainers, but maybe they are. I WOHM so she needs to be able to go 3 or so hours. Am I expecting too much? I've asked the breeder for her advice but haven't heard back from her yet.

The other problem is more deliberate. I'll take her out, she'll pee some, we'll come back in and within several minutes she's peed and/or pooped in the house or in her crate. I had been giving her some off-leash house freedom but I guess we need to go back to square one on that, too. Another example: I take her out 2x in the morning about an hour apart, she'll pee both times and poop once, put her in the crate, take a shower, come back to find that she's peed again.

She really is a lovely dog with a great temperament, but this is making for a very stressed out mama who is really hating 24/7 doody duty.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Some of it depends on your definition of house trained. Paper training is still urinating and deficating in the house. The point of house breaking is teaching the dog that the whole house is his "house" and therefore off limits for soiling.
It shouldn't make much difference how "on top of it" the owner is, eliminating in the house is still eliminating in the house.
For the op, 6 times a day outside for a young small breed dog is about 1/2 what you want to aim for.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, she IS so young and doing well considering the transition she has made in coming to live with us in our nuthouse.
Life is much better now that we have gates for the kitchen and her little paper area. We will make it to full time outside eventually I think, she does have a routine out there and is catching on. When my kids were little and potty training I put a wee potty downstairs in the living room for them b/c we didn't always make it upstairs in time. Of course I didn't want the livingroom to be their bathroom, and when they were a bit older they realized this too. Truthfully I am just not going to worry about it anymore!

Griffin 2004,
a good old friend of mine had a lovely French Bulldog ("Ami") and he was a real challenge to train, much as he was loved. One of my doggie books lists them as somewhat difficult for training, so hang in there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.