Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I live in New England and are starting the house hunting process. Most of the places around here have lead paint. We have a 10 month old who is walking and into everything, so this makes me a little nervous. If your house/apt. has lead, are you just super fastidious with the vacuum? How can you minimize the chance of exposure to your LO's? TIA.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
We have this issue (live in an old house with questionable paint and pipes--likely lead). We use a water filter and run the faucet first thing in the morning to flush them out. You can be super-fastidious with vacuuming, but you should probably be careful to use a high-quality filter and empty it out a lot, because lead paint dust flying around isn't great either. They say not to try to remove the paint, because that makes it more "available"--rather paint over it or get it "sealed." Unless there are actual chips lying around for your LO to eat, it's probably not much of an issue. If you have a healthy diet, with lots of Vit C, iron and calcium (help body process and eliminate lead), I don't think lead is too hugely serious either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts