Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in my other thread, although we are planning to move to Seattle in a year, right now, the cost of housing is really freaking me out.<br>
We will want to buy in two or three years. We want to live in city, in a safe neighborhood. We have two conflicting loves with the hosuing. On the one hand, we love old houses in great neighborhoods. On the other hand, we love the ease of condo living. So, we could go either way. But even condos in Seattle are $275,000 and up for 2 brs! We have three kids, so that is a bit of a squeeze. But we could do it.<br>
However, I was looking at housing in POrtland, and seeing adorable 3 br bungalows with basements for $200,000. what is the catch there? Are hosues really that inexpensive or are those in bad parts of town or on the tracks or murder sites?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Those are probably not in the most desirable parts of town. It seems like there aren't any decent houses in Portland for under $250,000. It all depends on where you want to live though. Since house prices keep going up, more people are moving into those cheaper houses that are further out and eventually neighborhoods will get better because of it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
For $200k you could <i>definitely</i> have the cutest meth lab on the block.<br><br>
(No, I'm just kidding. I'm not really a snob! But in general, YES, that is a bit low for a 3-bedroom in a halfway desirable neighborhood. Unless it's a major fixer-upper. Or a meth lab.)

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
ita. we just moved here and houses seem a bit more than that.<br><br>
maybe look in the burbs?<br><br>
we can from texas, though, where you can get like a mansion for 150,000! LOL

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>gottaknit</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">For $200k you could <i>definitely</i> have the cutest meth lab on the block.<br><br>
(No, I'm just kidding. I'm not really a snob! But in general, YES, that is a bit low for a 3-bedroom in a halfway desirable neighborhood. Unless it's a major fixer-upper. Or a meth lab.)</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
This is making me lmao. Yeah, the houses are getting pretty pricey here. I was pretty shocked when someone down the street listed their home that severely needed updating for $395K. I know it went for lower but still. It's getting crazy. Good for us but bad for new home owners.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Yeah, when we bought our house 2 years ago, I felt like we were getting an okay deal, but maybe could have been better. Now I'm so so glad we bought when we did!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts