Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a room or small (very cheap) apartment available right now? My husband moved to Houston to work this week, intending to stay in his car. Obviously that's not a great situation, and he's desperate for a place to stay.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Okay, why is he intending to stay in his car?

It's too hot here to do that!

I thought you mentioned you were religious and from Utah, so...are you LDS? Can you contact someone from your church here? I'm assuming you don't have a ward here yet since no house....

And how cheap because there are weekly rates at various extended stay hotels....?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a variety of reasons, he needed to start the job ASAP, and there was no time to save up the money and do it properly.

He is working with the ward, but hasn't found what he's looking for yet.

If he got an extended-stay hotel, it'd be more expensive than an apartment, so we were hoping for something cheaper than that.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I don't know where he is working but at the SW corner of the intersection of Beltway 8 and I 10 there is an apartment style place. I saw vacancy sign there last week and I think it may be $99 a week? It is so not a desireable area based on 2 noisy roads right there but may do for a few weeks. I also know that the Y (maybe downtown) or one of the YMCA locations does offer shelter/housing for men.

Also craigslist for sleeping rooms:
http://houston.craigslist.org/search...leeping%20room

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MistyB View Post
I don't know where he is working but at the SW corner of the intersection of Beltway 8 and I 10 there is an apartment style place. I saw vacancy sign there last week and I think it may be $99 a week? It is so not a desireable area based on 2 noisy roads right there but may do for a few weeks. I also know that the Y (maybe downtown) or one of the YMCA locations does offer shelter/housing for men.
I know you're wanting to keep costs down, but DO NOT let your hubby stay at that apartment complex. I drive past that place several times a week and he will not feel safe. Some of the churches have sleeping co-ops for visitors. Maybe that's an option...?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama_of_1 View Post
I know you're wanting to keep costs down, but DO NOT let your hubby stay at that apartment complex. I drive past that place several times a week and he will not feel safe. Some of the churches have sleeping co-ops for visitors. Maybe that's an option...?

I have to second that. I drive past it too and it is NOT SAFE.

I wish we had an extra bedroom, but we're all in bunkbeds as it is. I'm praying for you guys!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About the $99 apartment, DH is pretty picky, so if it looked even remotely "ghetto", he probably wouldn't go for it.

Before he went down there, I mentioned that he could stay at a YMCA, and he said "they don't provide housing any more". Now that Misty informed us that is not true, he at least has that option. It's almost as expensive as the apartment he was going to get, but he wouldn't be locked into a lease, and he could pay weekly. But it's downtown, so he'll most likely reject that option without even looking into it. Sigh. I'm almost wanting to just tell him to figure it out himself, but I do want him to succeed, so I want to help him. He's just so darn picky!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Beltway 8 and I-10 is not even remotely close to downtown.
Hmm. In my humble opinion it is
When I am thinking of "not close to downtown", I am thinking of Hockley or Tomball or Baytown

But I was referring to the Downtown YMCA anyway. It's at 1600 Louisiana.

·
Registered
12,552 Posts
Tomball and Hockley and Baytown are um....not even in the vicinity.

But ok.

The Downtown YMCA is right next to the new Chevron, was to be the Enron Building. It's a very very very nice looking area.

Downtown may be a little different than what you and your dh remember.

My dh walks from the train to his building without feeling unsafe.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Downtown may be a little different than what you and your dh remember.
We've only been gone 9 months, lol! Have they been making some significant changes?

I think it's more of a perception in his mind. I know he's been downtown, because he's dropped me off at the engineering building before. I have gone down there several times to visit City offices for work, go to the Children's symphony, etc.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Tomball and Hockley and Baytown are um....not even in the vicinity.

But ok.
It's funny how perceptions are different
I grew up not having to drive much at all. The longest drive we made regularly was 10 miles to my Grandma's house. When we moved to Houston, the first trip we had to make regularly was NW Houston (290 @ Hollister) to Pasadena. I was pregnant, and my midwife was in Pasadena, so we were going there weekly. It didn't seem like a big deal really, so my first experience of the Houston area was to think of it on a very big scale. So when I think of Cypress to Pasadena, I think "not too far".

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes...the place at 8 and 10 is nasty and I would rather sleep in my car but she wanted cheap and that was the only place I could think of that fell into temorary and cheap.

The Y did let people stay there as of a month ago. I have a cousin who is a drug addict, mentally ill and will not medicate and is violent and and...you get the point. He ended up in Houston and was staying at a downtown Y. I forbid my family from giving him my contact info because I feared him showing up at our house somehow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.