Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an email that I received from a good friend of mine. She really needs help with this. Please forward this info on to any area parenting groups you might be part of. This is our chance to help one little girl, and help motivate change within the CPS programs in Houston(which is one of the worst in the country). Please PM me if you need any additional info.<br><br><br>
"I am sending this e-mail in reference to a very dear friend of mine who is ten years old, and is brain damaged. Her name is Meagan and she is such an angel. Two weeks ago her father molested her in his bed. He fondled her while he masturbated himself. Meagan told her maternal grandmother about the abuse, and the police were contacted. A report was taken and Meagan ended up in a special unit for sexually assaulted children. It took six women to hold Meagan down while they examined her. The doctor called CPS and the grandmother was told NOT to return the children (Meagan has a 7 yr. old sister) to the father. These girls stayed in my home Sunday evening in order to keep them in hiding.<br><br>
Monday (7/10/06) they were taken to the Children’s Assessment Center in Houston . Meagan met with a caseworker there who interviewed her while the grandmother was kept secluded in a separate room. Hours later the caseworker came for the grandmother and informed her that the girls had been sent home! She explained that although there had been sexual abuse, that Meagan was not able to give her enough graphic detail, and that the father had “Only used his hand,” and that “He probably would not do it again”. Keep in mind that Meagan has brain damage and does not have the ability to relate the experience in graphic detail.<br><br>
I could not believe it. Meagan had been assured that if she was brave and told the truth that she would be protected. Instead, our very broken CPS system sent her right back to the man who sexually assaulted her. We teach our children that if someone is hurting them to tell an adult. Why? The system has completely failed Meagan. She was taken away without a word to her grandmother, the only person standing between her and her molester, and literally handed over to her assailant.<br><br>
I’m angry! I’m angry at the ignorance of so called professionals who lack the ability to properly assess a child. I’m angry at a system that is so over loaded that it is imploding on itself. I’m angry at a society that is more concerned about a parent’s rights than a child’s rights. I’m angry, and I’m going to do something about it.<br><br>
I am organizing a protest Thursday morning (7/13/06) starting at 9:00 am. The location of the protest is 2500 Bolsover in front of the Children’s Assessment Center . The protest will go the entire day. At twilight we will light candles for Meagan and have a candlelight vigil until midnight. There is a reason I have chosen midnight; it is symbolic of the final hour, of the last possible moment to help a child in need.<br><br>
I need bodies. I need people with enough backbone that they will sacrifice a day of their lives and be a voice for Meagan. I need people who understand the importance of the cause, and who will make it more important than their daily routine and their personal comfort. I want to create hope for Meagan. I want to let her know that she did the right thing when she told, and that she is not being ignored! I want her to know that there are adults who will be her voice and fight in her behalf. I want CPS to be humiliated into action, to give these girls a safe and happy childhood. Finally, I want new legislation that will REALLY protect all of our children from child predators.<br><br>
PLEASE help me. I need bodies! I want to take a stand and make a statement!!!<br><br>
Again the location of the protest is 2500 Bolsover in Houston in front of the Children’s Assessment Center . The time is 9:00 – Midnight. I will be bringing plenty of bottled water, but you may want to bring sunscreen, an umbrella, signs (I’m making about 50), candles and your personal stamina and determination!<br><br>
Very Sincerely,<br><br>
Karen R. Wilkinson<br><br>
Mother of five and friend of Meagan"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Best of luck to you!! I know that if I was not on the other side of the world...I would be there but I have passed this info to as many friends as I know in Houston.<br><br>
My prayers and thoughts are with Megan and her sister.<br><br>
Lora

1 - 2 of 2 Posts