Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not like, quality of sleep, but just...what position are you sleeping in? I am missing my tummy sleeping so much! I've got my body pillow, my head pillow, the pillow between the knees (pretty soon there will be no room for DH, or so he complains), and I STILL can't get used to side sleeping. My shoulder hurts, my hip gets sore, and whatever arm I'm on top of goes to sleep too!
: Is it still okay for us at this point to sleep on our backs? I feel like all I do is toss and turn. (What a grumbler I've become...I must need more sleep!)

·
Registered
679 Posts
I can still get away with the position I like best, which is on my side but tilted over quite far towards my stomach. (Probably not good for my back, but that's always how I end up.) I do need to tuck the end of the blanket I hug under my belly now though, and I can tell I'm slowly tilting more on my side as my belly grows.

I honestly think the back sleeping thing is silly... if its uncomfortable or cutting off blood flow, you will move in your sleep, and if it feels okay to do then I would just do it!

My bigger problem right now is random insomnia, already.
:

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Specifically, on my left side with my dd's feet squished into my back while she sleeps vertically taking up the rest of the bed. There is absolutley no other way to sleep because every other way her feet are squished into my tummy
I don't know how I would sleep without those little feet buried in me now!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OOh, yeah, the feet in the back! I have a pair of those, too, at least sporadically when DS wants to sleep with me. Somehow he always decides to peacefully rest his little angel head on DH's shoulder while digging the heels into his Mama! Lately, though, he's been on a "big boy bed" kick, and it makes me sort of sad to see my little independent Saggitarius start off on his own already!

·
Registered
873 Posts
With #1 I was concerned about the back sleeping thing too. My OB said not to worry, I would know when lying on my back was no good anymore. Sure enough, once I started getting pretty big (I can't remember how far along I was, but it was near the start of the 3rd trimester I think) I just naturally switched to sleeping on my side. By the end I had a pillow under my head, a body pillow between my knees/under my belly/under my top arm, and two pillows supporting my back. I so appreciated out king size bed!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
So normally I drift off to sleep on my back and roll to my side to completely go out. On my left side my left knee will be up towards my chest and my hands bent and tucked in...it looks so funny, I am sure! But I can't pull my leg up as far as is comfortable any more so lately I have just stayed on my back and not moved for what seems like hours. (well until I get up to pee!) So it seems as for 2-3 weeks I kept getting these wicked headaches because my muscles in my neck and shoulders were all knotty. I think the muscles were just not used to being in that position for a long time and they got upset. It seems to have abated as I think I still am spending a lot of time on my back. One of my legs has to be bent so when I am on my back I rest my leg on my honey...he is so tolerant; he actually says he likes it! He is a big-time snuggler!

Anyway, it is funny how you have all these effects and you still don't have much belly or movement to show for it..it is hard waiting! .... But, we did listen to the heart beat yesterday at our first prenatal! That was fun!!! I laughed hysterically and cried a little...finally it is coming from me! My husband keeps poking at my belly and making baby heart beat noises! We thought we might wait to hear with fetoscope but we didn't...we're so selfish! And my fundus seemed quite close to the belly button for almost 14 weeks...we will see how that goes! We didn't linger with the doppler at all and try to fish around to see what else we could hear - didn't want to torture the little one!

Hope it is as beautiful day for you as it is here! Paige

·
Registered
230 Posts
I typically start on my left side, but then roll onto my stomach to go all the way to sleep. I've started to try to fall asleep while on my side, but I will wake up flat on my stomach. DH normally likes to put his leg on my back (right above my rump) when we sleep, but lately, that has just put too much pressure on my tummy. Poor guy, my sleep patterns are still ok, but not his...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I still sleep on my tummy and will for most of my pregnancy. I've found that if I pull my one knee up as far as I can get it, I can lay somewhat still on my stomach. It at least gives me that feel and I sleep really good.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I hear ya about sleeping on your side. It's tough.

If you still want to sleep on your tummy try this: Take a thick pillow and put it under your hips/thighs and a less thick pillow under your bust down to the top of your bump. Then either use a third pillow for your head or no pillow there. This gives me enough padding to sleep on my tummy and not squash the bug.

You might want yet another pillow under your feet.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm trying to sleep on my side (usually my right side so that I can cuddle with DH!), but I inevitably wake up in the morning on my back. The one time I woke up on my side, my whole body - ribs, hips, neck - ached!!
:

My DH just got me a Snoogle body pillow which I will put behind me and use to keep me from rolling onto my back once I think it's necessary. Not sure when that will be...?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I usually sleep on my back, although I always start out on my left side. I worried alot about the back thing with my first pregnancy. I remember there was a mom on the mainstream board I posted on who went so far as to sew tennis balls into the back of her nightgown to keep her from rolling onto her back. I just naturally stopped being comfy that way at some point in my late second trimester.

** This is my 500th post!!**

·
Registered
489 Posts
I can still sleep on my stomach... a little while anyways...

I mostly sleep on my side with pillows every where... One behind my back, two between my legs... one for my top arm and to put under my belly... and two for my head...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts