Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to food dyes. My understanding is that they use pretty much the same chemicals as commerical lollypops, ice pops, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I am not sure but on the main Mothering website there is some great info in a link about how to make natural dyes. I would eliminate the risks if I can.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Once a year food coloring that mostly only gets to the shell ... personally I don't consider it that bad at all. I do think natural dyes are prettier, though.
I think they are too.

I have some onion skins, spinach, and blueberries ready to go for tomorrow so that I can start dying our eggs with the kids. I am thouroughly excited.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i found the mothering thing and did my eggs yesterday. they are so pretty! they look old fashion! FYI the spinach DID NOT work. i used frozen and i got cheap since it wasn't for eating...so i don't know if those were a factor. blueberries work beautifully, turmeric very nice, paprika not really(i left it in for like an hour, very barely orange), beets, very pretty pink.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by octobermoon View Post
i found the mothering thing and did my eggs yesterday. they are so pretty! they look old fashion! FYI the spinach DID NOT work. i used frozen and i got cheap since it wasn't for eating...so i don't know if those were a factor. blueberries work beautifully, turmeric very nice, paprika not really(i left it in for like an hour, very barely orange), beets, very pretty pink.

awww the frozen spinach doesnt work.

I learned that the hard way before too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the spinach! I was going to buy some tomorrow! I won't now.

Bobble-heading previous posters...if you don't do artificial food colours, then these will be a no-no. How bad are artificial food colours? Well, some people know they react badly to them (e.g. my son), and there is research that demonstrates harm to children's development and behaviour which is why the UK are banning several of them. I don't know where you are or what is available to you. So it depends on which ones you would be using, how you react to them, and how comfortable you feel with artificial additives in general.

Have fun, whichever type of colour you go with!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.