Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like I've been hearing more and more about the evils of refined sugar, and I'd like to learn more. We try to steer clear of sugary, processed foods for the most part, but I do like to bake for example, so we do go through it.<br><br>
Are there alternatives to refined sugar? Or, is refined sugar in small quanitities not so bad? Do you try to limit your intake of refined sugar at all?

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Refined sugar is bad because it leaches minerals out of your body in an attempt to metabolize itself. IT is addiciting and can lead to overeating. IT also messes up your blood sugar - because it is so refined it causes your blood sugar to rise, causing your body to produce a bunch of insulin and then when the sugar is taken care of you have all this insulin in your system making you crave more sugar. It also is very bad for your teeth.<br><br>
The worst things, I think are processed food you buy because they contain so much sugar to make up for the lack of taste. WHen you bake at home, hopefully you don't use so much sugar.<br><br>
A few ways to cut down on refined sugar are:<br><br>
use only 1/2 to 3/4 of sugar in a recipe<br>
use raisins instead of 1/2 or all of the chocolate chips<br>
use oats and whole grain flours which contain more fiber which will help regulate blood sugar<br><br>
Instead of sugar, we use dried fruit or bananas, juice, maple syrup, honey, or when I really need something granulated evaporated cane juice (minerals are not stripped from the sugar) but these are all sweeteners and should still be used in moderation.<br><br>
Here's a sugar free recipe you might like: <a href="http://simplynaturalbooks.com/recip.html" target="_blank">Raisin Bars</a><br><br>
Hope this helps a little.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like your ideas Cathe - thanks! Can you simply substitute, say, maple syrup for sugar?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good information, but I'd just like to add the quick note that we recently found out the hard way that raisins and dried fruit are very bad for kids' teeth, even though they are healthy sweets, because they are very sticky. Our dentist said to have the kids brush their teeth immediately after eating these.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
That's very true about brushing teeth after raisins and also the fruit leathers sold in health food stores.<br><br>
AS for substituting maple syrup - which by the way is my sweetener for choice - first of all, it is sweeter than sugar so you only want to use about 3/4 as much as sugar. Also, you will have to cut the liquid in the recipe or use extra flour.<br><br>
If you need recipes, let me know. I have been doing a lot of experimenting.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Refined sugar is bad in the U.S. because production of sugar cane is dewatering the Everglades. U.S. sugar growers are protected by price supports so imported sugar can't compete.<br><br>
never mind cavities and poor health. Sugar produciton in the U.S. is an environmental disaster.<br><br>
--AmyB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts