Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the standard is 20 lbs. But I'm wondering if my son can use his say until 25 lbs or so. The reason I ask is him and I are traveling by plane to visit my family in August and he is now 18 pounds and he gains about a pound a week. He will be over 20 lbs I'm assuming. I have a bigger car seat but it may be easier, less cumbersome, to carry the smaller one on the plane. I am planning on checking it with my bags either way. I'm traveling without dh so the easier the better!

And any other air travel tips for baby are welcome!

Thanks,
Amy

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think seats have different maximums. I know dd grew out of her Graco Snugride by 6 months not because of weight, but b/c she was already at the 26" length limit.

We took her on a plane for the first time just a couple of weeks ago and were pretty bummed that we'd have to lug the bigger one around. We ended up renting those luggage carts, so it didn't make much of a difference anyway.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Have you checked your specific carseat? Holden's infant seat fit until 25 pounds, but we went ahead and bought a regular convertible carseat since he was too long.

If it were me I would take the bigger carseat and just use one of those carts to wheel it and your bags through the airport while slinging the baby.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose I should check the specifications for my particular seat. I am definately planning on slingin' the babe. I am really beginning to see the beauty of the sling these days!

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
If you really want easier, just rent a carseat wherever you are renting your car. Especially since you say you are checking it with your bags. Why bring one from home when you can get one where you are going?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a bad idea but I'm not renting a car. Sure wish my brothers still had theirs!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd bring the bigger one - there's both a length and a weight limit, and by August you are right - the baby will probably outgrow it. I've traveled a lot with the baby (and without dh). I put the big car seat onto his stroller (it can sort of sit on there), I put the diaper backpack on my back, my ds in a sling-like carrier (I have an Ergo), and use a wheelie suitcase. Then I'm fully mobile. I check the suitcase and the car seat at the baggage check and take the stroller with me to the plane. Then I have a safe place to put ds if I need to, plus it's useful for hauling junk around.

Have a good trip!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts