Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend had a baby boy on June 26. They live far away but I finally got to meet him in person today. As she was changing his diaper she said he isn't circumcised. She wanted him to be but her midwife wasn't aware of it before she left the hospital so it wasn't done yet. I said "oh just leave me this way mommy" in a kinda of joking manner while helping her with the baby. Any ideas on what I can say to to her to help keep him intact without sounding pushy. TIA for any ideas!
:

A little background info....we were the best of friends when we were like 13, 14, 15ish but since then we've only kept in touch... getting closer again since she got pg and had the baby.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I would just talk to her directly. Let her know how painful and unnecessary circumcision is, and how important the foreskin is to normal penile development and sexual function. There's no need to be embarrassed - think of it this way, she probably has no idea how important the foreskin is. Go see her, SHOW her on her baby how his foreskin doesn't retract and how it will have to be ripped from the glans to cut it off.

Take her a pamphlet, the first one at www.coloradonocirc.org is really good and covers all the bases.

You may be this baby's only hope - go for it!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Quirky has great advice. Just tell her "Hey, you mentioned you wanted your DS circ'ed, but you know a lot of people don't do it. Here's a few reasons why..." I always tell people that I'm not trying to offend them, but I never knew about circ until I got pg and it's something I feel really strongly about. You could also ask her what her reasons are for wanting it so you know which angle to take against it. For instance, if she wants to do it for conformity, then the medical reasons might not convince her right off the bat, kwim?

Good luck! It's good to know that little boy has someone working for him.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchy*AP*Mama
A good friend had a baby boy on June 26. They live far away but I finally got to meet him in person today. As she was changing his diaper she said he isn't circumcised. She wanted him to be but her midwife wasn't aware of it before she left the hospital so it wasn't done yet. I said "oh just leave me this way mommy" in a kinda of joking manner while helping her with the baby. Any ideas on what I can say to to her to help keep him intact without sounding pushy. TIA for any ideas!
:

A little background info....we were the best of friends when we were like 13, 14, 15ish but since then we've only kept in touch... getting closer again since she got pg and had the baby.
It really sounds to me like she was apologizing to you. Maybe simply explain to her that you're against circumcision because it means cutting a normal part off the body of a newborn baby. Tell her to take a good look at her son and think long and hard about really putting him through any surgery, much less one that's not even medically indicated.

~Nay

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I like the Fleiss article in Mothering; it's in the stickies for the forum. It's short and sweet and succinct and not too scary for newbies to the idea.

You could say something like, "you know, there are a whole lot of good reasons to not circ. This article helped me decide not to do it to my son" or something like that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.