Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a childbirth education business in which I also sell related products.<br><br>
At the moment I am focusing a lot of time into writing and publishing books and educational material on natural family living topics, and wanted to create a publications business as a branch from my main business. I am also working on opening up a retail store, which I was also hoping to create under my main biz, but have it operate as it's own.<br><br>
My main business is not currently incorperated, but it will become inc. very soon (I have talked to my accountant and decided which way I want to go). Do I need to be inc. before I can create a branch under the same business? Or how does this work? Or doesn't it?<br><br>
Should I create an entirely new business for the publications branch?<br><br>
Just wondering if any of you have done this and what your experiences have been.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I assume you are a sole proprietorship with DBA papers filed for your main business?<br><br>
I think at that point, you can just setup a website for your second business and then just state on the website that it is a division of your first business. Then on your invoices, you'll need to make sure you state that your customers are doing business with the first company. If you accept CC though a merchant account, make sure you let your customer know that charges will appear in their account under the first business name.<br><br>
I do recommend you contact an attorney to verify that this information is correct, as I am not a lawyer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts