Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a local person who can serve as an assistant to a midwife - a doula with some nursing/midwifery background or something like that. I found a doula group in my area on a google search and have emailed them...what follows is from my email so I don't have to re-type my situation here:

"My first two children were born at the Lisa Ross Birth and Women's Center in Knoxville, TN. I decided to return to the birth center for my third pregnancy even though we now live in Chattanooga, an hour and a half away. I have been seeing the midwives there for my prenatal care. However, I am also keeping open the possibility of having a home birth… My sister is a midwife in Texas, and she plans to come to Tennessee for this birth. I have a history of fast labors (4 hours or less of active labor), so we have been planning that if my sister is here when labor begins, rather than try to make the trip to Knoxville we would stay home with her.

My husband has recently started to have second thoughts about home birth and is not feeling comfortable with it - he initially was fine with the idea, and is still comfortable with the birth center, but he is afraid of having a home birth with only my sister in attendance. I do have a doula in Maryville, TN who is willing to come to Chattanooga (she attended my second birth at the birth center), but he is afraid she wouldn't make it here in time to help. I am hoping that if I can find an experienced local doula (preferably with some additional training such as CPR/nursing/midwifery assistance, etc) that would be willing to attend the birth with us, he might be more comfortable with the situation. His fears stem from the fact that I did have complications with both of my previous births. With the first birth I had some hemorrhaging, which was not major (it was about 600-700 cc estimated blood loss and was quickly brought under control with pitocin, methergin and uterine massage) and I was home in good condition a few hours later, but it deeply frightened my husband at the time. The second baby ended up being surprise frank breech, and he was depressed at birth requiring resuscitation and transfer from the birth center to NICU at Children's Hospital down the street. This third pregnancy is going well, I am healthy, the baby is healthy (and has been vertex for several weeks now!) and there is no reason to expect complications other than "we're two for two", as my husband puts it.

So, essentially I have two birth plans: 1) head to Knoxville to the birth center (along with my doula from Maryville), or 2) provided my sister is in Chattanooga when I go into labor, stay here and have a home birth, with a local doula to act as a midwife's assistant as well as support for me and my husband.

Is there anyone in your group who would be willing to take on a "possible" home birth client, with the understanding that if my sister is not here in time I will go to the birth center and will not need her services (or perhaps who would be willing to travel with us to Knoxville and attend the birth there rather than my Maryville doula - I haven't made a contract with her yet)?"

I'm posting this here to see if anyone has any suggestions of other resources to find such a person. What do y'all think?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How did i miss this! I am a trained midwife assistant, just moved here(South of Knoxville) in September...PM me and I will give you all details. I was trained at the Farm, in Summertown, and have attended both hospital and home births since 1983 both as doula, midwife assistant, and sometimes primary. I am looking for people to connect with here, as i am working toward my CPM...Let me know. thanks, Cathi

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.