Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 1yo female cat, who we've had since she was a kitten, has always used the tub/ shower/ bathroom sinks as litterboxes. It was rarely, and never when we were around, and only to pee, so I tolerated it. But she recently developed a UTI. She's on anti-biotics now, and responding well. But first she took to peeing in the sinks constantly, and even in front of us, and now she won't stop! She's still using her real litterbox, but she jumps in the sink anytime one of us is in or near a bathroom. She doesn't even flinch if I turn the water on her. It's driving me crazy and I just want her to stop. Is there a cleaner I can use in the sink to drive her away? A cover I can put over it? Anything? Has anyone ever had success with this problem?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I think that once the UTI goes away, she will probably do it much less frequently so you could wait and see how it goes after that. Otherwise, you could try putting a large piece of cardboard over each sink to cover them. You could easily cut a piece to create a custom fit.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Can you keep the sinks filled with several inches of water? She might not mind getting squirted, but she might not want to wade into water so she can pee.<br><br>
~Julia

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping she'll use the sinks less as her health improves more and more. Maybe I've grown grouchy, but I'd like her to stop altogether. Both sinks have weak stoppers, so I can't keep them full of water. I'll try covering with cardboard, but with two small kids in the house, I don't know how long that will be feasible... Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
When my cat had a UTI, I kept him in a big dog crate with a litter box until he was fully recovered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts