Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I teach Sunday school at my church, and part of our morning involves small group time. The ages of the children are as young as 3 (they must turn 4 by 1 January) and they stay in my class until they start kindergarten. I teach alongside other volunteers (none of us are certified teachers; just interested in being involved in the children's ministry) and we work under a woman who specializes in early childhood education (she checks in with us before lessons begin, but she oversees several classes, so she's not always in the room with us).

Our small group time usually involves some sort of ice-breaker question (What are you thankful for? What's your favourite colour? How many siblings do you have?), then we might discuss the Bible lessons we've covered up to that point, and then we all pray together. The problem with this format is that most of my students are too young to feel comfortable vocalizing for themselves, and we have small group right after 'The Big God Story' (our main lesson, which involves a story, memory verse, worship, etc.) so the children's attention is already tired. Growing up with Waldorf education, it seems to me that my class would really benefit from this sort of approach, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any ideas? We have to have some sort of prayer time and it should be Jesus centered.

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
I am not a Waldorf parent so I may not know what I am talking about here, but I did used to teach Sunday School. Given what I do know about Waldorf, I wonder if it would work to make your prayer time movement based? If the children have already sat through a lesson and a check in, it might be kind of cool to use the body to initiate prayer. Now I know nothing about eurythmy and how it might compare/contrast with sacred dance, but just thinking how neat it might be to integrate these two things, just when the kids are most in need of movement.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Movement sounds like a good idea. Nothing as complex as eurythmy, perhaps a song to which children can stamp and clap? That way you can choose a song that fits into the theme and the setting and provides a movement break at the same time.

Some simple crafts might also be helpful as a way for the children to experience what you are offering but not have things so talky. A short story followed by a craft that ties into the story for example.

Reactions: shoeg8rl

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Movement sounds like a good idea. Nothing as complex as eurythmy, perhaps a song to which children can stamp and clap? That way you can choose a song that fits into the theme and the setting and provides a movement break at the same time.

Some simple crafts might also be helpful as a way for the children to experience what you are offering but not have things so talky. A short story followed by a craft that ties into the story for example.
We do a craft time, but it's not part of small group time. Our Sunday school morning usually looks like this:

Arrive, check-in, play

Big God Story (establishing the rules, looking in the wardrobe of wonder for an article that pertains to the lesson, the Bible lesson of the day, dance and worship, end by singing together in a circle) - the class isn't sitting the whole time; we do have a lot of movement incorporated during this time

Small Group (smaller groups of students; ice breaker, big God story review, prayer)

Craft (this is something simply that usually involves colouring, cutting, and glueing; it always pertains to the main lesson)

Play, wait for parents to arrive, sign out

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Sounds like the rhythm and patterns are pretty well established and anything you add in would need to fit within that framework. Is there anyone you can talk to about waldorf? Have you read any books?

From what I've seen, experienced waldorf teachers can change things pretty easily, but they know a lot about what can be easily shifted and what can't. I'm a parent and a grandmother, but I don't know waldorf on that level, sorry!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like the rhythm and patterns are pretty well established and anything you add in would need to fit within that framework. Is there anyone you can talk to about waldorf? Have you read any books?

From what I've seen, experienced waldorf teachers can change things pretty easily, but they know a lot about what can be easily shifted and what can't. I'm a parent and a grandmother, but I don't know waldorf on that level, sorry!
Yeah, I'm not looking to change the rhythm. I'm simply looking for a way incorporate Waldorf into our small group time, so that it might look more like a Christian version of a Waldorf kindergarten circle time, as opposed to what we do now (which, from what i've observed, isn't effecting our kids' hearts or benefiting them at all). Perhaps someone knows of how to structure a Waldorf kindergarten circle time? Like, what order is everything in, and what would one include?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts