Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is nearly 4 months old now, and I've started introducing him to the BBLP since he's rapidly gaining head control. He loves the new vantage point (previously I'd been holding him over the toilet in classic position) and looks around and grins and talks and stuff.

Problem is, is that I can't tell when he's going, lol. I just sit him on there and cue for a little bit and then have to take him all the way off to check for any progress. I can't hear it and I can't see it (b/c he's quite lean-y and makes shadows and stuff).

So what am I supposed to do now? lol. I guess I could sit on the large toilet and put him in front of me like that, or get a seat reducer for the big toilet. I mean, normally this wouldn't be a problem, but I want to be able to cue him AS he's going, and I can't do that if I can't tell when the going happens, ya know?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Generally, I can hear it. I've heard of people putting something into the potty like crumpled paper to make it easier to hear.

Plus side, quite soon you'll be able to make the noise to tell him it's okay to go and not just that he *is* going.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Plus side, quite soon you'll be able to make the noise to tell him it's okay to go and not just that he *is* going.
So when will that be? I've been ECing part-time with him since he was 6 weeks old, and we still haven't gotten to that point yet, lol.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Really? Oh dear. So he never goes when you use the cue sound while offering a potty-unity?

We were pretty haphazard about signaling in Lina's early days, but she'd pee on cue by 4 weeks. Not every time, but most times if she was signaling to go the cue sound would work (frequently also with nursing). Dh is the one who first tried and I was surprised at how well it worked because I thought it'd take longer to build the association especially since she only heard "psss" 1 of 3 or even 4 pees.

I think if you've been signaling him off and on for a couple months, it'd be okay to start just cuing him when you sit him on the potty and pick him after a few minutes to see if he's gone.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Really? Oh dear. So he never goes when you use the cue sound while offering a potty-unity?

We were pretty haphazard about signaling in Lina's early days, but she'd pee on cue by 4 weeks. Not every time, but most times if she was signaling to go the cue sound would work (frequently also with nursing).
He'll go maybe 5-10% of all the cued potty-tunities that I offer him. Part of my problem, though, is I'm still trying to rely on timing b/c I just can't read his signals at all.
The only one I could somewhat do was the popping on and off while nursing but now that he's older, he doesn't do that one anymore, so I feel like I'm back at square one and can't seem to figure out how to get to square two.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was a big fan of the clear potty; that way you can see when they are going without interrupting the flow by taking them off. The one I have is called the BabyWunder, but I think it has been discontinued. Continuum Family sells another kind called the Transparent Potty for $13.95.

Also, I think I have heard of people putting a little water in the bblp to help them know when their LO is going. Don't know if that would splash back at all though...

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by riboflavin View Post
Also, I think I have heard of people putting a little water in the bblp to help them know when their LO is going. Don't know if that would splash back at all though...
not paper, water.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
myy dd took being sat on the bblp as a cue.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Quote:

I think if you've been signaling him off and on for a couple months, it'd be okay to start just cuing him when you sit him on the potty and pick him after a few minutes to see if he's gone.
This is what I'd do, and probably did. It is hard to tell! Sometimes if I listened very carefully I could tell!
They do make a clear potty, which I never tried because I had a cover on Hannah's potty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.