Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister just asked me this. If the premise behind not using stem cell research is that it's unethical to test on human tissue, then why is it okay to use foreskins for make-up and all the rest of the stuff they use it for? Or, do you think it's more because most people have no clue what goes on anymore?

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Well, you could argue that the embryo cannot live without those stem cells, but the baby can live without his foreskin. Personally, I think it is disgustingly irresponsible to only think of people being alive or dead, with no thought for the quality of that life, but someone people don't feel like I do, and then you get Terri Schiavo and such atrocities.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galatea
Well, you could argue that the embryo cannot live without those stem cells, but the baby can live without his foreskin. Personally, I think it is disgustingly irresponsible to only think of people being alive or dead, with no thought for the quality of that life, but someone people don't feel like I do, and then you get Terri Schiavo and such atrocities.
Ok, so I don't really know a whole lot about the stem cell process. Very little, I guess. So, to do stem cell research, the fetus would not live?

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
As far as I understand, they use an embryo that only is 8 cells. Or maybe 16 or 32 cells. Anyway, I don't think they can take those cells and live. But what do I know? Maybe I'll look it up if I have time.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
It depends on how you view it. Some of my family is against stem cell research because they are against abortion. But they view circumcision as a beneficial surgery.

I obviously don't agree but that's how it works in their mind.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Well, they use either cells grown from fetuses aborted many years ago or they could use extra embryos made for couples doing in-vitro fertilization (b/c they make a lot of embryos but only implant 2, and if the couple is successful in having the baby, then those embryos just stay frozen and unused or are thrown away.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Just like all politics is local, so too with ethics. If you believe that an embryo has a right to life just as a fully born baby would, then you should be against stem cell research. If you don't subscribe to that belief, then you may have different views on the ethics of stem cell research.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
The embryos used for stem cell research are surplus from IVF. They would be destroyed otherwise. Personally, I think it's perfectly ethical. You can either use these embryos to sustain and improve the lives of sick people or you can discard them or allow them to remain in freezers, where their viability will eventually decline.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I have no problem with doing stem cell research on surplus embryos from IVF - but I do have a problem with using aborted fetuses for stem cell research. Mainly because I'm opposed to abortion. I feel that if the doctors and clinics can make a profit on abortion/fetuses, they will be a lot less likely to help a woman explore her options (keeping the baby, adoption, carrying to term, etc).

Foreskins shouldn't even be available for research, IMO. They should be attached to the baby! It's the same situation as the abortion thing. Docs are going to keep doing it because they can make money off it, both from the procedure itself and from selling what's left.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.