Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter just turned a year and so far I've been spoon feeding liquidy foods, like rice with lentils or fricassee or soup. Is there any way she can self feed those? Do you think she's old enough to handle a spoon? I don't want to just not give those, it would mean she can't eat half of what we make. She clearly likes self feeding better and I want to encourage it .

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
With soup I'd blend it and stick it in a mug, but yes, 1 year old is plenty old enough to get her hands on a spoon. I'd suggest an alternative at that meal as well, though (squishy first course, stodgy pudding, that kind of thing) to balance the meal out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I put some food on a spoon and then hand the spoon to DD to put in her mouth. While she is eating/playing with that spoon, I load up a second spoon and then give her the second one when she is ready and take the first back. That way she doesn't get upset about me taking the spoon away. This works pretty well, and some of the food actually goes into her mouth!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
Is there some reason that she needs her foods liquefied?
Ah, now, I don't liquify it, soup ( for example) by definition is most likely liquidy .

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by flatstanley72 View Post
I put some food on a spoon and then hand the spoon to DD to put in her mouth. While she is eating/playing with that spoon, I load up a second spoon and then give her the second one when she is ready and take the first back. That way she doesn't get upset about me taking the spoon away. This works pretty well, and some of the food actually goes into her mouth!
I'll try that, thank you. I'll need to make sure they look the same

·
Registered
247 Posts
i drain soups and only leave a tiny bit of the liquid. sometimes, with stuff that doesn't taste right drained, i thicken it up.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeezieTG View Post
i drain soups and only leave a tiny bit of the liquid. sometimes, with stuff that doesn't taste right drained, i thicken it up.
good idea!

·
Banned
5,766 Posts
DD loves eating soup with those spoons you can get at Japanese restaurants and they are a little easier for the young ones. You can buy them at Asian markets.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
We gave dd a spoon and fork when she started solids around 7mo. She made a mess but had a blast and now uses silverware as well as anyone. She really liked the colorful plastic toddler utensils from IKEA and the spoons in those sets are very wide and shallow. The asian spoons are a great idea too!

Soup would be good in a cup and a little one could pick out lumpier things too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I used to keep a big thing of unseasoned cooked couscous in the fridge. You can add that to almost anything and it instantly makes it more manageable.

I only had to do it from about 11 months to about 13 months. By then she was able to eat anything without making a mess. (or too much of one).

The key was to get the right shaped spoon though. A regular spoon just won't do. The ones we have are at a slight angle and that helps a lot. I even keep a set in my purse for eating out.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If the main component of our meal is something liquidy, like soup, I spoon-feed DS, but let him have a spoon that he gets to practice using, too. I also make sure he has something he can pick up and eat by himself-- bread, cheese, veggie or fruit. This minimizes frustration and maximizes the food he actually eats.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.