Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gosh I have been looking at some cloth diapers and wow 30 dollars for one dipe? 25 dollars? Iam hoping to use cloth full time, I have mostly prefold and some covers.Really I undrestand in a way hou adictive cloth can be, but serously why spent 30 dollars on one diper that is not even a "onesize fits most" NowI also understand if it is an aio or wool but a fitted diaper?... If I had the money I would too

·
Registered
155 Posts
The way I see it is that if you plan on having more children then it is more than worth it because you can reuse them. Even if you don't have more children you can still sell them back and make some $.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Exactly. It's a luxurious investment, and worth every penny because you are getting a boutique quality product that was made by hand. Many mamas only buy second hand, so there will always be a demand for resold items.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
well I can't afford $30 for one diaper and I happen to love prefolds and flats
But I know any higher priced dipes I've bought can be re-sold and/or used for a long time with multiple children so that it makes it worth the cost. I also buy a lot used and save this way. And I started out selling baby stuff on ebay and slowly bought a new dipe here and there so there was never a major investment. I just used prefolds for the bulk of my stash until I had enough more *expensive* dipes. It's just whatever you prefer, save money from the beginning and stay frugal or invest slowly (or at once) and know that it will be cheaper and worth it in the long run (as opposed to sposies). But quite honesty, like I said I prefer good prefolds over the many other I've tried.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Many, many mamas only use inexpensive workhorse dipes. With my first, I only used Motherease one-size diapers and covers, bought used, and resold later. With this baby, I really needed to simplify so I'm pretty much just using Very Baby AIOs. Even used, I initially thought these were pricy (paid about $11 each, on average) compared to what I paid for the MEOSs, but like the other posters said, I'll be able to resell them when I'm done and probably get about $8 each back. FMBG diapers retail for about $25 each (I think) and I've seen them reselling for $20-$22.

I think it's a mindset too. I won't shell out for Baby Lulu clothes, but I love Gymboree. My mom thinks Gymboree prices are ridiculous and buys anything she gets for the kids from Wal-mart (

You know, it can be a hobby for some, and those who have the money to spend like this enjoy it--I say this as someone who has been trolling the Diaper TP for girly FMBG dipes (got any to sell? I'd love to see 'em
). My little one spends a lot of time in just a shirt and diaper, so I think of them as clothing!

You want to really be
:? Visit TheBabywearer.com sometime and check out some of the carrier stashes people post
:

Just my .02...

·
Registered
186 Posts
I stocked up while I was pg. My best friend gave me some nice prefolds and a few Fuzzi Bunz for my shower, and I bought alot of used things on eBay to "try them out". For example, I bought a Happy Heiny used on eBay for like $8 (I think they cost around $15 new). Good thing 'cause I didn't like it- it didn't have the right fit for DS. So I sold it on the Trading Post and bought a diaper that I knew I liked. Now I pretty much only use Little Lambs (can buy new on eBay for around $6/dipe) and Fuzzi Bunz (check the Trading Post, you can usually get used for around $10).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I agree with you 100% about the expensive dipes! I simply can not afford them!

During my pregnancy I started making my own fitted dipes. I made over 20 newborn and 10 small dipes.

Since I couldn't afford the expensive dipes, I bought used LOTS off of ebay and 20 baby love One size and a bunch of wraps in lots for no more than $15. I also bought indian cotton prefolds from a co-op at $10.00 a dozen... so I bought 3 dozen!

And I bought 20 kissaluvs size 1 from a friend for only $20! in exchange for me making her 3 dipes! WOO HOO!

Good Luck!

If you need any small sizes... I'm willing to part with some!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by yasmel
Even if you don't have more children you can still sell them back and make some $.
I personally don't find selling all that easy and I've been sitting on my Kissaluvs for ages. I wouldn't count on that.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I was never tempted to spend that kind of $$ on diapers like that.

I just used plain old chinese prefolds with Pro-raps covers, for both kids, and did just fine.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Many moms use workhorse dipes! I have lots of prefolds that I love, but I also like to buy a few special and pretty dipes once in a while. I couldn't form an entire stash of really expensive dipes, but I like to have a few fun ones on hand!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on your motivation to CD. We're doing it because we're cheap
. It was good enough for DH's and my bums, so why not for DS? Neither of us are "professionals" in regards to how much $$ we make. I don't buy fancy clothes for me, or for my baby. I CAN, however, appreciate the beauty of fancy dipes. They just aren't for us - right now.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I started buying when pregnant. I'd buy a couple a week. I figured it was like stocking up. One diaper was equal to one pack of disposables. Then there was a little more in the first year as she ran through sizes, but for the most part I haven't bought a diaper in over a year (maybe 2? at christmas?) If she was in disposables I would have spent HUNDREDS in the past year- minimum.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
With ds, saving money was our main motivation in cloth diapering. We used prefolds and Bummis, and had a few Fuzzi Bunz for naps and overnight. We stuck to a very basic system.

Since we already had the basics when dd was born, I splurged on a few WAHM dipes and more Fuzzi Bunz.

I definitely see the fancy diapers as a splurge, and mostly just window shop.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
We use a combo...
We also buy used.

With an older child, who is only getting about 6-8 changes a day, i find that 6 pockets or AIO's (at about $10 apiece, used), plus 18 prefolds ($30, used) with 3 covers($15-20, used), is more than enough to only wash every 3 days.
That's only about $110 for an entire stash.
To do it ubercheap, you can get FFS items, or solely prefolds and covers...24 prefold with 4 cover you can get for like $60 or so......

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I don't think I own a 30 dollar diaper. I think they are pretty, but I don't own them.

We started with 36 inexpensive CPFs and some covers, which were a gift for my shower. From there we just started buying more (usually pocket diapers then branching into Bumkins AIOs once he was a size large, with Kushies AIOs for nighttime), in packages of 3 or 6 (cheaper in packages), one size at a time. Not that much different than buying packages of disposable diapers, except you use use and re-use the same items, instead of throwing them away.

(MommyTorf, I don't think you can get new Little Lambs from ebay anymore, as she's not a registered user now.....)

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
For me . . . I just cannot justify spending $30 on something my child will poop on, sorry. I may be in the minority but to me that is ridiculous. I built up my son's diaper supply all on Ebay and I did pretty well buying used and sometimes brand new diapers for no more than $15 with shipping. There have been some that I didn't like like Wonderoos and thankfully I've been able to sell them back. I guess it all depends on your motivation for cloth diapering. I really wanted a more environmentally conscious and safe and natural diapering alternative for my son and I also wanted something I could use if we decided to move back home to Africa. I wasn't looking for flashy, just functional. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would have bought or knit/crocheted some covers and used only prefolds as I like the simplicity. I also wish I knew how to sew well--then I probably would have made my own.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
I buy most of my kids clothes at consignment stores. I buy most of their diapers used too.

I have friends that shop at gymboree and spend $30 on one shirt. Those same people could spend $30 on one diaper.

The great thing about cloth is that there are lots to fit all kinds of budgets.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I don't personally spend that much. I use prefolds and covers and make my own pockets and aio's, which is super-cheap compared to buying FB's or whatever.

But when it's all added up, including money you get back from reselling, it is *still* way cheaper than disposables. So say you spend $30 on one diaper, use it for one child, oh let's say 100 times, then re-sell it for $20, you only spent about $.10 per change (a tiny bit more if you factor in the cost to wash). Most sposies are like $.20+ per change.

Maybe we should all be going up to sposie users and asking how in the world they manage to afford their diapers!
:

Even if you don't get that much use out of it, or resell it for less, there is more to cloth diapering than saving money. I mean, these $30 diapers are very, very, very nice quality. Usually organic materials, which are going to cost more no matter what.

I don't care if people spend that much. I mean, they *are* supporting WAHMs after all. It's none of my business why they choose to spend so much on poop-catchers. Heck, if I could afford it I probably would too!

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I do what a lot of others do. I have my inexpensive dipes that get the most use and then my expensive dipes. I'm also leaning towards spending more $$ on AI2s or covers so that I can use them more often.

I used CNN's number of $3500 to dipe a babe in spodies to PL and know there is no what I'm spending $10,500 on my girls!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can't afford diapers more than say $6 a peice, usually that's even to expensive, so I just mostly use prefolds, and make my own wool covers out of sweaters.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.