Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently some of his personality traits are coming to light in ways that demonstrate something like obsessive/compulsive personality. I'm still sort of standing back and realizing that some of the things that make my DH so different (we've grown to just not notice anymore) might be something else.

Those of you with partners on the spectrum, were they ever diagnosed/discovered as adults? Any resources you can pass on? Thanks.

· Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I doubt he would do any testing of his own based on his job (wink) so I'd probably read up on it if you can. I figure our guys in this line of work are all somewhat on the spectrum, but that's just my bad attitude peeking through.

· Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KailuaMamatoMaya View Post
I doubt he would do any testing of his own based on his job (wink) so I'd probably read up on it if you can. I figure our guys in this line of work are all somewhat on the spectrum, but that's just my bad attitude peeking through.
I'm laughign because I had that thought myself and I'm wondering how the heck you know what his job is???

· Registered
5,777 Posts
There are a number of online self-tests he could take. Be forewarned though that some people take offense when you suggest to them that they might have high functioning autism. I was very offended when this was first suggested to me, and I have a friend who is "classic" Asperger's but he was incredibly offended when I suggested it to him.

· Registered
9,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee View Post
There are a number of online self-tests he could take. Be forewarned though that some people take offense when you suggest to them that they might have high functioning autism. I was very offended when this was first suggested to me, and I have a friend who is "classic" Asperger's but he was incredibly offended when I suggested it to him.
Do you have links to good ones. I've suspected my DH has aspegers or hyperlexia for a while. I've been leaning more towards hyperlexia (his favorite bed timestory growing up was Webster's Dictionary,) but I'm not qualified or objective enough to determin this.

· Registered
9,321 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamicdoula View Post
I'm laughign because I had that thought myself and I'm wondering how the heck you know what his job is???

Is he a programmer by any chance?

· Registered
355 Posts
The job stereotyping is hilarious. My Dad is a software programmer, and I totally see the aspie-ness of him and his job.

I then married an OCD/Tourrettes/ADD and possibly an Aspie.

I was the one who suggested to my husband that he has Asperger's, I work with autistic kids, and he is EXACTLY like one of my students. When I explained to him the common misconceptions about Autism (his biggest one was that they don't 'feel' for other people, or that they aren't caring/loving) he actually has started to enjoy realizing what makes him tick (and tic
) and we've been implementing the same techniques used for autistic kids to overcome things like his sleeping habits, his rage/outbursts, and his anxiety.

If presented in the right way, it almost becomes a blessing. We've discovered a lot of little things that make our lives SO MUCH EASIER. We run the fan 24/7 for white noise, and it has more than halved the time he spends mindlessly zoning out on TV, searching for auditory and sensory stimulation. Sensory/OT things have become a part of our 'intimate' time, back massages, scalp rubs, and we're even considering getting a trampoline.

Life is so much easier now that I don't feel like I'm holding knowledge back from him, and that we have someplace to look for ideas.

Hope that helps; it has certainly helped us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.