Mothering Forum banner

How crunchy are you?

• Super Crunchy.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Crisp on the outside, warm and squishy in the middle.

Votes: 104 62.3%
  • Wet soggy bread.

Votes: 27 16.2%
41 - 60 of 119 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Well I am Pretty Crispy too! I got 71 or maybe 81 cause I wasn't sure if the tandem nursing thing is now or future. I would love to conceive again (btw yes to NFP for TTC
) but it is highly unlikely, that said I would definately tandem nurse if it ever happened.

I do drive a mini van
DH drives an SUV
DS is circ'd and I do not regret it
We eat meat every day, I could never go vegan, I'm a dairy girl! :LOL mmmm ice cream
I'd consider a homebirth but not feasable around here and I love the CNM I have now so I go where she goes

I do recycle
I CD and use mama cloth (have once pp but af is is being very unsocial lately, 74 days, and no I'm not preggo
: )
DD will be selectively vaxed due to a reaction to DTaP

S0 I still have room for more granola in my bowl I guess.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Well I got an 84 which is about where I expected to land. I am very strict about recycling in our home and we have a composter in the back yard (which I don't use as often as I should!) But I do buy non-organic produce and my son self-weaned during pregnancy (though I was certainly open to the idea of tandem nursing).

I never got the hang of baby wearing until Rhys was much older (and I got an ergo LOL!) and Rhys got his first bottle of EBM when we were driving to my sisters wedding when he was 6 weeks old. He only ever had a hand full of bottles before 6 months but he did have some so I lost 5 points right there LOL!

Steph

· Registered
460 Posts
I'm so sorry, I didn't post it to be offensive or uninclusive (is that a word?) of people who can't BF or have their babies the natural way! I'm so sorry! I *would* do a natural birth if it were possible, and plan to try next time, but I had high BP and gestational diabetes and got stuck in a hospital with Nurse Ratchet who kept me strapped down for the whole 24 hours of unproductive induced labor ending in a c/s. That would all bump me off the crunchy chart too. I just thought the poll was in fun really so I hope I didn't hurt your feelings by posting it.

Personally, I think of myself as a "wannabe".
I'm somewhat crunchy at heart, but I use disposable cleaning products, eat processed food (Hamburger helper anyone?
: ), circ - after fighting DH for too long over it and giving up, vax, wish with all my heart to buy an SUV asap, watch tv (couldn't survive without TiVo
) and just generally am probably much more mainstream than most on MDC and more so than the ladies in my AP playgroup for sure!
But I'm as attached as possible with my son and that's all that matters, right?

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I'm fairly crunchy. I bf, CD, co-sleep, AP, except for the fact that we vaccinate. I won't risk the diseases both for my kids and myself as I have never had any of the childhood illnesses. (Measles, Mumps, chickenpox, etc) Other than that, I am pretty crunchy, I guess. At least where my parenting is concerned.

· Banned
1,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kindred_spirit
Actually the homebirth hurt my score.....oh how I wanted one & dreamed of one & planned for one.......and then Preclampsia....etc...problems came into play & my midwife booted me ;(

but next time a water birth for me........Yippeee!!!!!!!!!Z

You know I'd LOVE to birth at home. I have high blood pressure quite badly even when I am NOT pregnant and that always causes such a fuss.

I think I am half scared of not havig any pain meds either. I am a super whimpy baby. I WISH I could be half the women these home birthers are. I am just not cut out for it. I cry for my own Mother during delivery. How pathetic is that???

· Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm on the cusp of crunchy and whole-grain crunch.
I'm learning to cook from scratch (never paid attention unless it involved chocolate when I was younger), cloth diaper, breastfeed, make ds's baby food, use mama cloth, starting to use more natural household cleaners, love my clothesline, etc. We're starting to make that kind of switch for us, ds, and our budget.
I'm even starting to think about having a homebirth for baby #2 so we're more comfortable and I'm guessing it would be less expensive. Especially with my (probable) quick labor.
But we don't buy organic (we're not rich right now - and organic costs 3 times more than regular), have three cars (2 are paid for, the '77 Wagoneer hasn't moved in 4 months), and we
our computers (with 4 in the house for 2 adults...).

Lanna

· Registered
6,605 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by summiebee
I think I am half scared of not havig any pain meds either. I am a super whimpy baby. I WISH I could be half the women these home birthers are. I am just not cut out for it. I cry for my own Mother during delivery. How pathetic is that???

Heehee... During one heck of a contraction I told everybody in the room I was never having sex again... The doctor, 5 nurses, and dh got a good giggle out of that. And then the epidural guy finally showed up when I was at 9cm, and I told him it was too late. He didn't believe me until the nurses checked me and were frantically trying to find a doctor to deliver (ds came out 20 minutes later).

· Registered
1,901 Posts
I got a 60 - but i don't think we're crunchy at all. We CD, BF until at least 2 years, babywear, co sleep... I also use only cloth napkins at home, don't use highly disposable products (paper towels, paper cleaning wipes, or disposable mop heads or dusters). I'm also big on recycling. But we drive an SUV, I don't think I would homebirth, vax on schedule... We don't eat organic - although if we ever get our back yard down I'd like my own garden

· Registered
12,640 Posts
I consider myself pretty crunchy, YET I have this idea of the perfect mother and no, I don't measure up.

I'm in the middle of the road I suppose, I'm very crunchy compared to most people I know IRL, but compared to some people here I'm crispy like Pringles.
There's some things I do now that I intend to change. And some things I do not wish to do that dh does.

PS- my score on the quiz was 135. I'd hate to see my dh's score! :LOL

· Registered
12,640 Posts
Oh, I answered the questions the way I feel- not necessarily what happened. For example, I intended to tandem nurse, but my dd weaned all by herself when I was 2mo pregnant. I gave myself points for tandem because I planned to and because *I* didn't force my dd to wean or initiate weaning. I may still end up tandem nursing someday!

PS- you do the same Holli- you had those choices taken away from you but I would still answer the questions they way you would if you could have had your way. Life happens and the fact that you didn't give birth doesn't mean you aren't a mom or that you wouldn't have made good, educated choices.

· Registered
5,204 Posts
Holli, kimberlylibby & others

its just a silly quiz ... there is no definative test you can take that says you are a good parent or that you are crunchy. heck there is nothing to say that being crunchy makes you a better parent than someone who isnt. Please dont let something so small make you feel bad... you and only you are the final deciding factors in who/what you are as a person and parent. Being a parent isnt about scores or tests... its about much more than that.
s

Heck I know people who do all of those things on that quiz but then hit their children... i wouldnt exactly look up to them as crunchy or a better parent than me because they scored higher.

· Registered
2,623 Posts
I got 140- I kept re-adding it and re-adding it because I didn't pick the MAX option on each spot- infact I didn't have a home birth which was a big one. I wanted to, but I have a blood disorder that didn't allow for it.
Anyway- I was debating wether I was crunch or soft in the middle. To me there are much more things that make you "crunch"... I don't see myself as all that crunchy- I mean I look pretty mainstream if you saw me out and about... but I do tend to lean towards that end of the spectrum
I think that quiz shows how AP/NFL you are- to me crunch includes like how much trash you produce and your consumerism. I don't know why I think of that a little differently.

· Registered
3,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
BTW, I will admit to being more than 100% irritated that I had to get docked 5 points on the quiz because I had to give DD my breastmilk in a bottle.

She didn't latch until she was 10 weeks old and I think it makes me MORE crunchy that I persevered and pumped for 10 weeks instead of just giving up.

So that quiz should give ME an extra 5 points for sticking with it even when a dozen LC's told me to give up!

Yes, I'm a bit touchy on that subject

Amen, sister!

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busybusymomma
Oh, I answered the questions the way I feel- not necessarily what happened. For example, I intended to tandem nurse, but my dd weaned all by herself when I was 2mo pregnant. I gave myself points for tandem because I planned to and because *I* didn't force my dd to wean or initiate weaning. I may still end up tandem nursing someday!

Gosh I counted it based on what happened. I planned a homebirth and ending up being induced at 40 weeks 16 days which failed and ended in a section and DS weaned while I was pregnant...if I added those two back in I think I might go up a notch LOL!

Steph

· Registered
3,886 Posts
Annette: you didn't hurt my feelings!! I just got irked cause it implied that pumped milk wasn't as good.... that's all. There's blood sweat and tears in pumped milk, as any pumpin' mama can tell ya!! I am very thankful I *did* eventually get to nurse my dd... and I am a huge bf advocate...

· Banned
1,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2kyla
Holli, kimberlylibby & others

its just a silly quiz ... there is no definative test you can take that says you are a good parent or that you are crunchy. heck there is nothing to say that being crunchy makes you a better parent than someone who isnt. Please dont let something so small make you feel bad... you and only you are the final deciding factors in who/what you are as a person and parent. Being a parent isnt about scores or tests... its about much more than that.
s

Heck I know people who do all of those things on that quiz but then hit their children... i wouldnt exactly look up to them as crunchy or a better parent than me because they scored higher.

totally agree....I am not crunchy and I KNOW I am a good Mother. It's what works for you and your family.

I don't think I've met a bad Mother on here.

Summie

41 - 60 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.