How Crunchy Are You?

• I'm a proud mainstream momma

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I seem to be middle of the road.

I had a homebirth, but it turned into emergency cesarean. I do most vaccinations, but I do not do well baby visits. At 7 months, my DD is still breast feeding strong, but I don't see this continuing to 2+ years. My son is not circ'ed. I do not use a sling (which DD hates) but carry her in the Baby Bjorn (which is very similiar) every day. We eat probably 95% healthy and organic, but we also have coke and chocolate in the house. I do not do cloth diapering. We co-sleep. I believe most in Gentle Discipline, but am rarely on that thread. I stay at home with my DC's, but only until 1 year, when I go back to work and they go to daycare.

edit: I guess I mean in relationship to the people that you know - those you associate in your community, those that you hang out with on line too. I said middle of the road because in my comparison to my english mother group, I am SUPER crunchy; in comparison to my danish mother group, I am pretty crunchy; in comparison to MDC, I am only a little crunchy, leaning towards mainstream. If I put them all together, I gues I get in the middle.

I do not mean this poll to be a competition of who is the most/least crunchy. I just want to see where everyone thinks they are, regardless of what others think.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by beansavi View Post
nak

it depends on who i am standing next to, kwim?

still nak

2 intact boys a girl, all fully breastfed into 2nd and 3rd year

we eat some meat

cloth diapered until recentlt

public school

passivists but would fight to defend innocent children's welfare...

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
We're middle of the road-ish, too.

We cloth diaper, but also use sposies (at night and when out and about mostly), I wear my babies, we do delayed/selective vax, extended breastfeeding, and cosleeping. We try to eat healthy and I choose organic much of the time (mostly based on availability). We don't circ and we don't spank/yell (at least I try not to yell
) as discipline.

But I also let my kids have non-nutritious treats from time to time (and I enjoy them, too)--like cookies, ice cream, french fries, and some candy. We watch a bit of TV. We have plastic toys and I wear makeup and I probably spend too much $$ on clothes.

So I guess I'm not uber-crunchy, but I tend toward the AP/NFL style of living and parenting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Let's see...I said crunchier than most:

We cloth-diaper;
I tandem-nurse my 4.5 yo DD and 1 yo DS;
We eat mostly organic/natural foods;
We do selective/delayed vaxes.
ETA: My son is intact!

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am crunchier than my RL friends but probably more mainstream than most internet ones. We cosleep, breastfeed(9 months and going strong!!) babywear w/ the ERGO(I could never figure out the ring sling!!) and make organic baby food for our little guy.Our son is intact as well.

However on the "mainstream" side we vax, use sposie's, and I am a WOHM, my fiance was a SAHD up until this month. So I'd say we are a bit in the middle. We just do what seems best for US

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
We breastfeed, cloth diaper and use gentle discipline. If we'd had a boy he would have been intact. We used the sling often, but not all the time, when she was a baby--more rarely now. Dd is fully vaccinated and I plan to go back to work at some point, not sure when. She will most likely attend public school. Our diet is fairly healthy but not all organic/veggie or anything like that, and for the most part we stick to standard western medicine.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I said super crunchy...

*tandem nursing my 3wk old & 26m old
* home water birth with DD2
* cloth diaps on both (and not pressuring my 26m old to potty learn on anything beyond her timetable)
* currently vegan (normally vegetarian, but eliminating foods to try to clear up DD1's eczema)
* super selective vaxing and delaying those we do get
* no well baby visits (just our family doc)
* as much organic as possible, no junk food - no artificial ingredients, no HFCS, etc
* we have a family bed (our queen is feeling mighty small these days
)
* baby wearing (& I make my own carriers
)
* circumsizing is not a choice we will make for any future sons
* super eco conscious (i hate that i have to drive my car at all - our public transportation leaves much to be desired)
* we believe in loving guidance/gentle discipline
* lgbt positive
* we believe in homeopathy
* considering homeschooling for elementary school
* i'll SAH until my youngest weans

although... somehow, i've surrounded myself by several like-minded people IRL. Yay for living in crunchy-granola-ville.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
middle of the road i guess....
we do absolutely no vaccines.
do not breastfeed-babe required a medical formula-neocate (but would have loved to be able to breastfeed)
organic foods, but we also eat some junk food occasionally.
we are into homeopathic treatments
cosleeping
no baby visits
disposable diapers (i never knew anything about cloth diapers until very recently)
gentle discipline
im a sahm

compared to some people IRL though, i am SUPER crunchy

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
It depends whom I'm with. If I'm compared to my real life friends, I'd be super crunchy. Compared to many mamas here, I'd be more middle of the road. I think I'm more AP than NFL but having spent some time on the board I'm becoming more NFL than I used to be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, I don't know about the term crunchy, but...

BFing my 17 month old
Non-vax
co-sleep
cd
non-circ
homebirth
GD
exclusive baby wearing (no stroller)
sahm
organics whenever possible
don't do well baby visits- only visit ped when son is really sick (once)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Exactly as BookGoddess said! Very crunchy compared to IRL friends but middle of the road here. I do find myself becoming crunchier by they day (or maybe more NFL by the day)- perhaps due to my MDC obsession??

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I voted "crunchier than most". I breastfed my first son until he was around 15mo when he weaned himself because (I think) my milk did not taste good when I was pregnant (he would try to nurse and then gag), I cloth diaper, I partially EC with my youngest, I do baby led weaning with my youngest, we do GD, I've had two homebirths, we cosleep, i buy as much organic as possible (especially dairy and meat), I buy as much grass fed meat as possible, I buy as much local as possible, I babywear, I prefer wooden toys as well as minimal toys, I have an amby baby hammock, we don't vaccinate, we regularly go to the chiro, I limit tv/movies, we use a lot of "natural" cleaning and bath products, we are contemplating homeschooling our boys, I feel we have a lot of toys but compared to my friends we dont' have a lot...

Wow that seems like a lot. Maybe I should have voted super crunchy
at least in comparison to my peers IRL!! On the otherhand I have things that would be considered very "un"crunchy that would be unpopular here at MDC. Maybe we should have a poll of uncrunchy, un-MDC-popular items!

ETA: I also recycle (more than most I know IRL), want to have my own organic garden, frequent the farmer's markets, am contemplating raw milk, and bring my own bags to the store

SJ

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I have no idea
: I know I could be crunchier lol..but have to wait until I have another for some things that I want to do, for example CLW , breastfeeding, I completely messed that up with my dd
: we cosleep, I still wear kailey alot, I can make a ring sling in 15 minutes hehe, If I have a boy there is no way we will circumcize, learning and practicing GD, working on EC somedays, but not as much as I could, I'm a SAH mom and we are considering homeschooling. I may do more crunchy stuff, i dunno lol..we play outside alot, and I let dd explore everything, including mud ( I don't see alot of other mom's doing that, maybe I'm just weird
)

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Well, we:

birth naturally
co-sleep
maintain constant contact for at least the first 6 months
baby wear (I make carriers)
practice extended breastfeeding/tandem nursing/nip
cloth diaper (I make those too)
eat organically (although we do eat junk every now and again, but we are pretty healthy)
practice gentle discipline/some aspects of consentual living
unschool
I will sah/wah forever, no plans to go to an outside job
we are pretty eco-conscience, although we do need more work in this area
we do not vaccinate/medicate/or do wbv
we only have a dd right now, but if we have a ds, we will not be performing cosmetic surgery at birth (dd's ears aren't pierced either)
we stay away from plastic/battery operated/character themed toys, prefering more natural substances like wood, wool, and cotton
we buy organic products (other than food which is about 90%) as often as possible (bath, home, fabrics, toys, ect)
we do not use harsh chemicals in/outside the home (vinegar/baking soda to clean, ect)
we try to stay away from stores that support practices we do not agree with (wal-mart) although I do have a Target addiction that I am working on
we try to live frugally and simply, getting rid of as much as possible, reusing things, ect

Compared to people I know IRL, I am ultra mega, super crunchy.

Compared to people here, I'm pretty crunchy, not as much as others!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Quote:
It depends whom I'm with. If I'm compared to my real life friends, I'd be super crunchy. Compared to many mamas here, I'd be more middle of the road. I think I'm more AP than NFL but having spent some time on the board I'm becoming more NFL than I used to be.
This is basically me, too, except that I came here more NFL and have become more AP as a result of these boards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I answered crunchier than most, but compared to most on here, I am probably just barely out of the mainstream category!

I was answering with regard to most people I know, and in that case, I am pretty strange and crunchy! My mom was a LLL leader, homeschooled my sibs, did cloth diapering, was vegetarian... so I am not doing anything outside of the norm for my family, just people around me.

We do: breastfeed (and plan to 2+ yrs--well, when baby decides), cosleep, cloth diaper, delay solids (I thought I was delaying by starting at six months, ha! so maybe that doesn't count), I've been a vegetarian for 19 years, have practiced yoga for 15, eat as much organic/local/healthy food as possible, babywear, vaccinate on schedule, do well baby visits (and why is this uncrunchy? It's not something I've ever considered not doing--someone please explain!), consider homeopathic paths first, have a healthy suspicion of Western medicine. Our DS's birth was an unmedicated, but hospital birth (home birth next time if there is a next time!)

We don't: plan to homeschool (but do hope to have alternative education options for our kiddo), have me stay at home long term (I'm there now for the next six months, but then back to work when DS turns one. Maybe I can stay home with baby #2 if we plan our finances better next time.)

Oh, and what is it about not-circ'ing that's crunchy? It seems like it's becoming very mainstream these days.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
As compared to my very close friends, I'm super crunchy. As compared to other AP moms I am acquainted with or talk with online, fairly crunchy.

*Did some cloth, but mostly sposies. She is moving to training pants and those will be cloth
*breastfeeding going strong - did no babyfood - transitioned to big girl food
* has had most vaxs, but we have since stopped them all
* we us the pediatrician is very much have to cases only. Other than that we do homeopathy and herbal remedies. We are also firm believers in chiropractic
*95% organic and all natural foods - we are meateaters
*We love to wear our DD!
*We seem to be leaning more toward Gentle Discipline, but are considering using time-outs.
*very very limited TV viewing here - we are a Waldorf family
*very environmentally conscious and doing our part!
*we do co-sleep

I had a traumatic birth experience with DD. I knew some things about AP, but didn't know it had a name before that. Since DD's birth it has been a constant learning process and deciding how our family dynamic will work. Loving every minute!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am not all that crunchy, by MDC standards. That said, I still enjoy MDC and feel I get a bit out of perusing this site.

I breastfed my son on demand until 15 months, when he weaned due to my current pregnancy. We've never co-slept - we're pretty mainstream about sleep around here, actually. We disposable diaper, do WBVs and vaccinate. I use a stroller - never really could get the hang of a sling - but I'm a SAHM, and I'm pretty much holding my kid all day. My son is only 17 months old, so "discipline" is not an issue with us yet, but I lean more toward gentle discipline - although not quite to the extent that I often see on the GD board. We do try to eat healthy, but I don't care to fork over the money for organics. I'm going for a VBAC for my next birth, and it will take place in a hospital with an OBGYN.

Man, now I'm worried I'm going to get banned or something.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.