Mothering Forum banner

Are you choosing to use a doula for your birth?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi, I am a newer doula just starting out in Santa Cruz County and I wanted to be able to hear from moms (or moms-to-be) who had/have doula's themselves.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>How did you find your doula? Was it word of mouth? Through a community group or birth network in your area? Were doulas referred to you by a friend or family member? Did you find one on the web? Did you find your doula via the DONA website, or Doulamatch.net?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm asking because I am having a hard time getting clients and I'd like to understand better how pregnant women go about choosing a doula so I can reach more of them. Looking forward to your responses!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any tips you could give for interviews as well? Thank you!</p>

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
<p>I actually found mine totally by chance on facebook.  Somebody posted a picture on a group I was in (breastfeeding support group) of a class they were holding at a local Babies R Us and got a casual referral in the comments for the picture.</p>

·
Registered
855 Posts
<p>I am using the same doula this time (a hospital VBAC) that I used for my last birth (HBAC). She was amazing and I know I'll need her since I'll be in the hosppital this time!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I met her and decided to use her because she was my Bradley Birth class instructor (she teaches out of her home)- she mentioned that she is a doula and in the class showed many birth videos from the births she attends (with the couples' permission, of course!). How did I find out about her Bradley classes? I knew I wanted to VBAC and I joined a local online listserve here in the DC area called BirthOptionsAlliance (Yahoo Group), I also joined the local ICAN. Both told me to take Bradley classes when I asked for help and advice about VBACing, and I found my doula/Bradley instructor online through a search (she has a good website). She is now on Facebook too and I promote her to anyone looking for a doula or Bradley classes because she really is amazing.</p>

·
Registered
999 Posts
<p>when i was pg with DD1 i had a friend whose doula came from a certain group. i contacted the group and was randomly assigned whoever was available. i LOVED her and she'll be returning for this one's birth. i also met some doulas at my prenatal classes, and very much believe i would have been happy with any of them!</p>

·
Registered
201 Posts
<p>I live in an area with a LOT of doulas. And a lot of them charge quite a lot for their services (I'm sure they're worth every penny, just not in my price range). I wound up finding my doula through my midwives  - the clinic keeps a list of newer/lower-cost/sliding-scale doulas. I got a list of about 12 names, emailed the three closest to my house, and set up meetings with the first two who replied to my email (the third never replied).  I met, and totally clicked with the first one, so I think she's going to be my doula. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Maybe you can introduce yourself to midwives in the area, and offer lower-cost or sliding-scale services to them? </p>

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
<p>I found my doula on a birth network site for my area. She was the first doula we interviewed, and "clicked" with her right away. Here is the site: <a href="http://mtchildbirthcollective.org/Doulas.html" target="_blank">http://mtchildbirthcollective.org/Doulas.html</a><span style="display:none;"> </span></p>
<p>We live in a small town and I'd actually heard of a couple of the other doulas we didn't go with. Our interview was very laid back... she actually asked us a lot of questions and was sweet and respectful. She seemed to understand where I was coming from wanting a vbac. Also she'd had one hospital and one home birth... I think you will either click with people or not when you meet. Price for us was not really an issue, clicking was.</p>

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
<p>During my first pregnancy, I took a Bradley childbirth class. There was a doula-in-training who attended the class as part of her certification and she offered to attend the births of any women in the class. There was no cost because she was still in training, so I went for it. You could probably get some clients if you connected with childbirth instructors in your area.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I didn't have a doula for my 2nd birth (tight funds), 4th birth (homebirth - didn't find it necessary) or 5th birth (I planned a homebirth - didn't find it necessary). I had a doula for my 3rd because a friend of mine was hoping to get certified and my birth ended up being her first. </p>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<p>Thank you so much for the info! I am thinking that I need to make more appearances in childbirth classes! Thanks!</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts