Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did you come to your decision to vaccinate/ not vaccinate? What we're the strongest argument for you, and where did you find the most helpful information to be? I'm on the fence about vaccinations and would love if anyone could point me to any good studies, websites, etc. Also, were you at all influenced by family/friends and their experience with vaccinating/ not vaccinating ex: brother had bad reaction, cousin got vaccine preventable disease, etc)

·
Super Moderator
7,581 Posts
When my kids were little the work of Randy Neustadt was influential. We did selective/delayed starting at about age 2. At the time, there were virtually no incidences of any of the illnesses live in the country, and particularly not where we live. So the lack of "threat" from disease was a big part of our decision. That is no longer true.

As the kids grew we continued to research it. Diseases that had been 'gone' made a bit of a come back and that has influenced our current decision making, as has our children's proximity to child bearing of their own.

I saw Andrew Wakefield speak myself on the MMR vaccine. I know what his research entailed and what he was trying to demonstrate, and I know how to evaluate research. It was nothing like the media and medical community distortions that came after. In my mind he was never discredited because he was never saying "MMR causes autism." So he was very influential as well when I saw him speak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts