Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey moms!

I am currently expecting, unplanned but very welcome. I have been struggling with money and finding ways on how to save up on money. I have been given a lot of clothes by friends, which is very kind, but I am worried that when I buy second-hand strollers, for example, my child can get sick. I have saved up on money by using the Baby monitor app by Annie instead of a regular baby monitor, as I have an old phone laying around. This helps, but do you ladies have any more tips on how to save money in a safe way? :smile:

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you're worried about second hand strollers, perhaps you can cut money elsewhere and save for a new one? I don't know what you already do, but cutting little expenses here and there has really helped me. Shopping in bulk, not eating out, getting cheap gas, being more electricity and water efficient for my bills, etc.

Also: I don't know what the rules are for this but, before I was pregnant, I would "donate" plasma all the time. It wasn't a lot of money (about $25 each time, twice a week) but I'm not sure if they'll allow you to do that after having a baby or while breastfeeding if it's safe. But maybe something a partner can do (if you have one)? :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Consignment shops were great. I got a crib from one as well as a stroller (and maybe a baby carriers too). I'm not sure what the issue is with a used stroller for you. You get a style that works best for you, for us, the ability to go through snow and be brought on streetcars, subways and buses was critical. Car seats are another whole story as they must be up to date and be comfortable for the child. There is no point in spending lots of money on clothes, babies grow so quickly they don't stay in them long. I had people I barely knew giving me garbage bags full of clothes they didn't want. Garage sales, thrift stores, charity sales, mom swaps, clothing exchanges, craigslist, online forums, eBay were all places I would find stuff I needed. I also find there are a lot of new cheap clothing options like Old Navy and Children's Place (I think both are online). You will notice there is a glut of baby paraphanelia that doesn't get used much before babies outgrow them or the parents who bought them don't want them in their house anymore. Baby seats, exersaucers, baby swings, riding toys make regular appearances here, on the curb. You can save money by breastfeeding. I don't know how the costs break down but you can go cloth diapering with or without a service that launders them, or disposable. I used a combination of both. I bought the no name (drugstore) brands of diapers and wipes but some people manage to save money by buying in bulk (Costco probably), with coupons etc. You are going to need a lot of diapers per day (was it 10 per day?) any way you look at it. When it comes to baby food, buy less of the premade "Baby" food and just use more regular food you make yourself. I did not have any fancy equipment, I used my food processor and an ice cube tray. "Baby" juice is just regular juice with a different label honestly and they don't really need it. They don't eat "baby" food long before graduating to finger food anyways. Highchairs come in all budgets you may or may not want or need one. Ikea used to make good budget friendly ones, along with good bedding and a few solid toys like art easels and wooden train sets. Libraries here are a godsend for entertaining small children and they are free. They usually have baby classes with music, songs, story time etc. Libraries also sell used books and some have yearly sales where they clear out old stock. Books can get pretty trashed by small children who tend to chew and rip pages or bang them around. We have free Early Years centres that are full of toys, and rec centres with cheap or free baby pool time and gym play time. You can save on toys by exchanging with friends or buying from friends and neighbours whose kids are a bit older than yours. The only time I bought new toys was when I found something really special or I knew it was going to chewed on. Even so, our house was like a play gym. When it came to larger or more specialty stuff (like a bike trailer or an expensive snow suit) I would check out online gear swaps like the one MEC has here. Stuff I (almost) never needed or used: play pen, exersaucer, boppy, glider, bassinette (I used a basket), over the crib mobile, changing table, motorized swing, diaper genie, baby tub, wipes warmer, diaper bag, baby monitor. Everyone is different, but realistically lots of baby gear is marketed to super anxious new parents. My son loved an over the door swing and that was free from a friend. We had a little plastic slide which was used (I can't remember if I garbage picked it) and when he was older, a trike which he rode around in our front room. We got an art easel he used a lot as a birthday present. I could have done with less toys than we had and saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We did not have a lot of money when dd was born, so I learned short cuts really quick.
Breastfeeding
Cloth diapering
Baby led weaning
Use vinegar and baking soda to clean
I love ikea toys, but also babies don't need toys for a while. You are the best toy.
Second hand stores, good will and hand me downs
One thing to always buy new is a car seat. Look up car seats for the littles.com or the car seat lady.com and they will give you a recommendation for your individual situation, they will tell you the cheapest car seat that will fit your needs. I would recommend starting with a convertible car seat and skipping the bucket. That will save you $100 at least.
Also look into co sleeping.
Remember babies don't need much, milk, clothes, somewhere to sleep, and most of all mama. :grinning:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts