Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am getting back into the swing of all things Breastfeeding......my Breastfeeding Support site should be up and running in a few weeks, with new sections to feature WAHMs and AP friendly products.....and I have this idea. I have been trying to find something to do from home, a wahm business...........my own, not just to make $$ but to focus on something I firmly believe in. I can't sew , so making diapers is out (LOL) and so on. I am a writer so I already do articles etc for my site, have for years........I am debating to sell some WAHM products as well through the site, but I need something of my own.....does that make sense?

With all this hoopla surround thing the View and the nurse in, I figured advocacy is best..........

So I have this idea....to create and sell Breatsfeeding shirts with cute but BF positive statements. All sizes from babe to mom/dad...........maybe start small for now, work my way up? Just not sure how to do it. I mean, buy a few shirts to start, do iron ons or get a few custom made. I have the web site to sell them on so that is done at least LOL...........but what do I do now?

You mamas who have WAH businesses how did you start? Where did you begin? What $$ did you fork out? Was it really hard? I am fine with not making loads of $$ and taking time....just can't afford to fork out alot as we're a one income family.

I think I will feature my items with my web site name since I own it.............so the slogans would start "_____(site name)______ ................." and go from there.

Any help is SO appreciated. I have found my home here at MDC and it has brought me back to life in so many ways...........

·
Registered
83 Posts
You might want to try this to start.. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/ If it's the way it was last time I checked it out, there is NO initial investment. Your profit margin isn't super high, but you can try out your artwork and biz potential without worrying about having startup cash.

I started trying to WAH in 2000 and it took several businesses to "find my groove". I had NO money for startup so I just started out REALLY small and re-invested every dime I made into the biz. This meant my biz grew slowly, but in retrospect that was a good thing because I needed the time to adjust to being a wahm. I see a lot of mammas who suffer from "crash and burn" because they delve too deeply too quickly. Also, it would've been a big mistake to invest tons of money into my first ideas because they just didn't float. I'm glad I didn't have the money to blow!!

My best advice would be to take your time, get a few small biz books from the library (there's lots to learn about marketing, bookeeping, etc), and RESEARCH before investing any money (i.e. make sure there really is a market for your product - check out the competition - ask friends, family, strangers, anyone who will tell you the truth).

Hope that helps! Once I found the right biz for me (CDs), I've thoroughly enjoyed it and have found great satisfaction !

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you're thinking about shirts, I think they really need to be screenprinted; these are the highest quality. You can ask around for prices at sign/t-shirts shops in your area - usually shirts will cost you around $5 a piece or more printed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts