Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
<p>We told ours yesterday with a big sister book. It was a funny reaction. She seems excited and happy, just not overly so. She's too young to fake those emotions. I think she is still just processing what this means.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am 8.5 weeks, so we debated if it was too early, but felt it would be nice to have it out in the open.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
850 Posts
<p>I told my 6 year old daughter last week by giving her a Big Sister shirt. I wanted her to wear it in a picture I was sending to family, so I kinda had to tell her why she would be wearing it! She is so excited! I was worried about it being too early too, but I'm glad I told her.</p>

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Dd is only 2, and when I finally tested positive she was the only one home with me. I told her right then and there that it meant there was a baby in my belly and she was going to be a big sister. She kinda gets it, but not really! I don't stress the point, bc I don't want any weird jealousy to build up. And of course it's still early in the pg and things can go wrong, so I'm trying to play it down.<br>
That said, every so often she tells me she has a baby in her belly, too. She thinks her belly button is somehow the baby or how she can see the baby. Lol, kids are so cute.

·
Registered
610 Posts
<p>I told mine, but not in any special way. I just told them. My 2 year old doesn't get it at all really. My 3 year old does, and she is excited. She says that she wants a sister because boys are mean and will beat her up. lol. She was also asking if I was going to have the baby on Christmas like Jesus. lol.</p>

·
Registered
362 Posts
<p>My older one knows, she was there when I tested. She is cautiously happy. I think she was hoping that her brother would have time to grow up a little bit before we added another baby to the pile!</p>

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
<p>We told our 7 and 5 year old boys on Christmas Eve.  Marc told them that we had a very special surprise for them because Mom was going to have a baby.  They were soooooooooooo excited!  Nikolai has always said he loves babies and wants to have 10 of them when he grows up, so it wasn't a surprising reaction from him.  Nate loves being the baby, so we were worried about his reaction.  He's very excited, but doesn't yet understand how far away the birth is.  He is concerned that he won't be the baby anymore, so we're making sure to let him know that he will always be our baby and trying to play up how cool it is to be a big kid.  Babies don't do anything cool.  He said, "Yeah, but they are cute!"  lol </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The boys hug my belly every morning and night and give it a kiss, then tell the baby they love it.  It has made my pregnancy even more exciting, and I am so glad that we went ahead and told them so early.</p>

·
Registered
556 Posts
<p>My DD is almost 2.  I have been talking with her a little about the baby in mama's belly.  When I tell her this, she looks at me like I am crazy--she doesn't get it yet, but I figure it doesn't hurt to talk about it some in preparation.   </p>

·
Registered
246 Posts
<p>i didnt have to, my 3 year old told me 3 weeks before i found out. he said "im pregnant like mommy".... 3 weeks later i got a BFP ...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>the 12 month old wont understand...</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>I don't tell until I am obviously showing. My children will be 8, 4, and 1 next month, I am thinking mid/late Feb is probably when I will tell. My DD1 would not handle knowing and then losing the baby later on well so I always wait. </p>

·
Registered
91 Posts
<p>We won't tell they boys (3 and 4) until I am past 14 weeks...so we will probably tell them in early February.  We'll probably do the Little Critter book about the new baby to break the news.</p>

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
<p>We won't be telling until we hear the heartbeat... probably in Feb.</p>

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
<p>My dd knew the day I took the test.  She was there with me and I needed her young eyes to make sure I wasn't seeing things!  I felt bad about her knowing and I told her cause I didn't want her to be sad again if this baby dies too.  She told me that she wants to be happy about the baby now, even if it doesn't make it.  Pretty tough kid.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I always feel like it's better for her to know early why I am so cranky/sick/tired/etc.  That way she doesn't worry about me and she seems to be more tolerant.  If I have a flu and feel like I am dying, she still expects super mom.  But a baby in my tummy?  She cuts me all kinds of slack. </p>

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
<p>My girls (5 and almost 3) told me before I knew!  We didn't discuss ttc in front of them either.  One day about a week before my bfp, older dd lifted my shirt and kissed my belly.  I asked her what she was doing and she said "kissing your baby boy!" as if I were silly to not KNOW lol!  Middle dd started randomly telling people about the baby boy in mama's tummy...THAT was awkward! lol.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So when I got a bfp, I told them and they looked at me like I was nuts for not believing them in the first place!  Older dd said "I KNOW mom."  They will be HIGHLY disappointed if it's a girl!</p>

·
Registered
19 Posts
<p>I am DYING to tell my DD about this pregnancy. She is 7 and I'm pretty sure that after the initial shock, she will be excited. I am going to wait until after the 31st of Jan, which is when I have my prenatal screening and an ultrasound. I want to see this baby one more time before I am confident enough to share.</p>

·
Registered
29 Posts
<p>I haven't told my 9 year old or 5 year old yet. I did tell my 19 month old, but he doesn't get it at all! I'm not sure when I will tell the older 2.</p>

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My 8 yo has suspected ( asked what the positive pregnancy test that I kept on the counter for weeks was) but today they (8, 6, 3.5, and 1) saw the newest addition at my nuchal translucency u/s. Obviously the 1 yo has no idea what's happening, but the rest were excited!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
<p>My DH announced it at Christmas dinner and all our kids were there. They are all really excited, except my youngest who doesn't get it. Today though my 2 year old pointed at my tummy and said "Ball!" I lifted up my shirt and told him I don't have a ball, that is a baby! A couple times afterwards he has wanted to see the baby again, so thats cute.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Carrie~ I love that your daughter has a baby in her belly too! When I was pregnant with DS3, DS2 had a duck in his belly!</p>

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
<p>I am not sure when we will tell, I would like to wait until mid-Feb, but DH really wants to tell them. DD1 (4) has been talking about the baby in my tummy for a long time even though we have not told her anything. The cycle before I got PG during the TWW she told me 'Mommy, there is not baby in your tummy now, but there will be for Christmas' She was right! She has been talking about a baby brother for over a year, but the past few weeks she has been saying she is going to have another sister.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We will tell soon, but the pregnancy is going to seem so long to them so i figure there is no point drawing. I also need to be ready for everyone to know once DD1 knows, she will tell everyone!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I really want to go shopping and get both girls matching big sister shirts.</p>

·
Registered
166 Posts
<p>We told DS pretty much straight away.  I wanted him to get to be a part of it and really feel included.  I was also starting to feel pretty sick so he was going to know something was up, better know that I am having a baby than be worried I am dying or something.  He loves babies and has been over the moon.  He doesn't even mind that he will have to share his milk.  He tells the baby stories all the time and gets slobber all over my belly.</p>
<p>He was very worried about the midwife though.  It came out that he thought she had to cut me up to get the baby out.  (this must have come from talking to my SIL who had a c-section a few months ago).  He was also worried about the baby falling in the toilet.  We have been watching gentel birthing video's and he is getting it now.  He puts his baby up his shirt, gets in the tub asks the midwife if his vagina is ready and delivers the baby. Soooooo cute.</p>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts