Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Rain did it fairly independently... a lot of puzzling over blocks and books. At one point we would get stacks of books at the library and she would ask that I read them to her "only one time", and then she'd read them to herself a bit. Before that, she'd take a book she knew well sometimes and seem to sort of puzzle over it. She did not like the "finger under words" thing (darn that John Holt!). Often she would ask me what something said, and I would tell her, and sometimes I'd add a little bit of information... like, she knew hpw to spell "all" from the commercials when she was tiny, so when she asked about "fall" I said "f-a-l-l, like "all" with /f/ at the beginning."

I don't remember her getting frustrated, but she did refuse to read for 6 months after kindergarten... or at least, I never saw her read then.

Could you maybe ask your daughter what words she would like to know how to read? It sounds like she might want this to be more independent, so maybe you could do something like writing four simple cvc words on a page with a picture under each of what the word says, like "cat hat bat rat", and on the back you could just write the words, so she could "test" herself.

I'm just throwing out ideas... you might also try to get more into what else is going on, and why the sudden reading thing...

dar

· Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Oh, Rain did have Reader Rabbit's Journey, or something like that... and some software thing with an outer space theme and catchy music... I think she played them quite a bit, but I don't really remember. We did have a long discussion when she was 3 because the program said "bot" wasn't a real word, and I spent time on mIRC then so she knew it was... she gave up on the game for a while after that.

dar

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.