Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a bit of a quandry. dd1 has just turned 6. She seemed to be reading signs for events in our town (really, reallly free market, family fun run, sales at the coop) and bits in cookbooks around 3 and 4. At 5 she said she wanted to "learn to read" using phonics because her good schooled friend was learning it. I downloaded studydog, etc....

Now she says she's "forgotten" how to read. She wants me to "teach her." But if I show her anything or even run my finger under the words while we're reading it ticks her off. I'm really feeling like I'm not hitting what she needs.

I have no memory of learning to read myself. I apparently learned before 3. My only memory of not reading is looking at the hymnal in church and realizing that the words were printed there. (I had had been turning to the right number for some time. I remember being thrilled because I love to sing.)

So I'm curious about how other people's dc learn to read. And whether they got cheesed and frustrated during the process or it was just ducks and lollipops.

· Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are amazing! Okay, here's what we've come up with...we tell each other wonderful stories. We are making books and writing the stories down. Sometimes she want me to write them for her; sometimes she wants me to spell out the words.

She wants to write independently in her journal, so dp is showing her how to use letter sounds to guess the spelling of words, which she is finding fascinating.

Here's what it seems like. She's not interested in reading as a process. She wants information and stories...now more independent of us.

Now, she's not a particularly independent soul, so this is exciting stuff.

We've been completly distracted by her close neighborhood friend leaving, so I didn't have a chance to post and tell you how your great ideas led to some really productive conversations about how to give her what she is asking for.

Thanks a million.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.