Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I don't think you'll get particularly helpful suggestions from random strangers who only know your daughter's age.

However here are some things to consider:

Does she prefer realistic or fantastic?
Would humour be a hook for her?
What is her reading level? Is reading still a bit difficult for her, or can she decode fluently? (Some of this you may be able to guess at from her reading speed, the level of books she has self-chosen and enjoyed recently and her stamina.)
What are her interests?
Does she prefer non-fiction?
Are graphic novels, anime or comic compilations more likely to be enjoyed right now?
Does the predictability of formulaic series appeal to her?
Is she drawn to stories that are character-driven? To mysteries? History? Science?
What are her friends reading?

The most important thing, though, is to create a culture around reading in your home. Make trips to the library or bookstore together to choose your own books (this will work far better than choosing *for* her). Make space in your home and in your lives for reading. Go on picnics to the park and read. Consider reading aloud to her to take pleasure in sharing good literature. Similarly, consider reading books in tandem: you and she independently read the same books at more or less the same time so that you can talk about them. Encourage a "read the book before you see the movie" family tradition and hold yourself to it too! Have a cozy nook in a common area of your home, and in her bedroom. Keep the TV off. Make sure you and her dad are seen to be avid readers. Maybe institute a nightly routine where the electronics go off, you have a soothing snack together, and then read before going to bed.

Miranda

·
Registered
738 Posts
Agree with this

Some kids aren't into fiction, and would prefer a book of facts, or how tos or news or history etc.

Is there a magazine she would enjoy? I know of a couple like Cricket, Spider, Owl that are geared strictly to kids.

http://shop.cricketmedia.com/Cricket-Magazine-Discount-Offer/Cricket-Magazine-Special-Offer.html

https://shop.owlkids.com/products/c...9IRnH4g4JAVlcaAl7pEALw_wcB&variant=4204718785

Magazines like National Geographic can have broad appeal too, or anything relating to interests or hobbies.

Some kids aren't strong readers or reading doesn't hold a lot of appeal so graphic novels may be more interesting.

At 10 she's probably still in primary school, do you have book services like Scholastics?

http://www.scholastic.ca/books/whatsnew/

My parents took me to the library a lot, I would choose books from any part of the library. We also had a bunch of magazines kicking around and shelves of books and books were special treats. I was reading rafts of Harrowsmith magazine and learning about gardening I kid you not. My parents ordered me a whole series of books from Readers Digest about world fables that I loved.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
Well what *I* enjoyed reading at age 10 probably isn't appropriate material for most 10 yr olds :). What my own child read at age 10 isn't what most parents would deem appropriate for 4-6th graders either. That being said, each child is on their own path. Some are still learning to read at age 10 while others are far into the world of adult books (insert myself and my child). Some 10 yr olds prefer to read traditional paper books while others like e-readers (ipads, kindles etc) and for voracious readers e-books are a godsend. For struggling readers e-books with audible can be very helpful as well. Some kids just are not readers and thats ok too. Forcing someone to do an activity they dont like is a sure way to make them hate it even more. Provide the opportunity and resources and see what develops.

·
Registered
4,186 Posts
Take her to a library or a good bookstore (used is good as well as new) and let her brows around. She is the only one who can tell you what appeals to her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Her real life interests

If you're still trying to figure out how to get your daughter to read more...

Instead of trying to figure out what kind of books she may like (fiction vs nonfiction, magazines or books, etc.), just hone in to what your daughter likes in general. For instance, my 12 year old daughter is really into hair styles and designs. So I let her read magazines and articles directed to hair stylists. But the twist is getting her access to professional readings so that she can pick up on the professional terminology.

So tap in to what your daughter really likes, and find literature that teaches the subject or critiques the subject. Use reading material that will expand her vocabulary and encourage her to think critically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.