Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to become a midwife, I am living in the state of FL and will be starting midwifery school in September (thats what you have to do here to become an LM) I want to be a birth center/homebirth midwife and would love to be an apprentice or labor assistant to a midwife to gain experience. I am already a doula just needing to attend one more birth to become "certified".

My question is: how do I approach a midwife to talk about becoming an apprentice? Do I just open up the yellow pages and start calling birth centers? I know some of the midwives on here have apprentices, how did they find you? I'm just wondering where to start....

· Registered
12,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know that in the state of FL you have to be licensed to practice midwifery and you are not allowed to get your only education through apprenticeship, you must attend some sort of accredited formal education. But my midwifery school did say that they would set me up with an apprenticeship my second year. But that is a long time away, and I'd like to start now. Calling midwives and asking what their apprenticeship policies are is a good idea. That is where I'll start.

For the mama who asked for the link to my school, here it is: http://www.mannaschoolofmidwifery.org/

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.