Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ilana is 2 wks old now and I'm having pain again. I'm thinking it's b/c she just doesn't like to open her mouth wide enough to nurse and sometimes I don't notice at night and I get super sore. It was just one side, but now it's both that are sore. Any ideas? I try to pull down on her chin when latched on to make sure it's open and make sure her top lips are out, but what else can I do? She's only about 7.5# at most, so still small.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
nak
i hade troubles too where my ds would not open wide enoght at that age what I did was wait till his mouth was open bigger, kinda shove my nipple in his mouth via squishing it with my hand, does that make sence, and if it still was not a good latch, we did it over and over and it was very frustrating I almost gave up BF, but It turned out his latch was perfect. My nipples had thrush that's why they hurt so much, maybe check that out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my #2 dd.

The website breastfeedingmadesimple.com is a really big help. They have some good animations of latch.

Pushing on my dd's chin makes her close up more. In the book they talk about tickling the chin with either your nipple or finger. It helps but we're still having some trouble.....

Mostly at night when I'm trying to side-lie nurse....

How can you tell if you have thrush?

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on the new baby!
My oldest had thrush and his whole mouth was white. I've never experienced thrus w/out baby having it too so I'm not sure. Evan had no problems w/ it and I think it's b/c of the diet I was on and am on now. I'll have to check out that site.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
sometimes it is helpful to "tease" the baby with your nipple. sorta tickle them with it but instead of putting it in, pull away and do it again all in one quick movement. sometimes this is helpful in getting a baby to open wider in their attempt to find the breast. then quickly bring the baby to the breast, not breast to baby. I remember the lactation consultant in our birth class demonstrating and then helping me later. She realy just shoves the baby on. It doesn't hurt/bother them.

With DD we had to get a nipple shield which forced her to open her mouth farther to latch on. Eventually she learned and by 8 weeks was off of it. Now at 16 mos she still bf, but always she has had some trouble still latching on good if she's sleepy.

HTH! Good luck!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Hi, congrats on your new baby

I just wanted to pop in to ask if you checked the fendulum (sp?). I was trying to open Rivka's mouth wider for 5 months, when she had a checkup and started screaming and the nurse noticed it. I had nursed twins and didn't remember it being that painful, but I chalked it up to newborn stuff. Anyway it's worth a check. It was clipped and not any pain after that

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your baby! And for asking for help with this!

You can tease the baby, like mentioned previously. YOu can also squeeze your breast to mkae it smaller, like you would squeeze a large sandwich you were trying to get into your mouth. YOu can also say, "open wide," and open your mouht wide. With practice and patience, she will get better at it.

And, just in case, since drinking from a bottle & sucking on a paci mean she doesn't have to open her mouth wide, avoiding these things until you're both pros at BF will help avoid or limit this problem.

Good luck, keep up the good work & keep asking for help if you need it!

Sus

·
Registered
341 Posts
For me, it was a time issue. itty bitty baby's mouth just didn't fit over enormous engorged nipples. My LC said that some babies just don't have a wide open gape. Mine still doesn't at almost 4 mos, though we have found ways of working with eachother. It will get easier!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby!! My midwife suggested that I ask my baby to open his mouth wide, and show him. This admittedly sounds a little funny, but newborns do imitate facial expressions. So, I would say, "Open wide!" (in a cutesy voice of course), and show my DS my mouth wide open. I'd like to think that it helped (and still helps)

Also, one other suggestion for soreness - use Lanolin (I like Lansinoh). I used it religiously in the first two months -- applied it after each nursing session; kept a little bottle in the bra too!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Chanda is the big winner of the day!
Her mouth started to get white patches tonight and since my cousin's ped was checking her baby over in the hospital (he was born yesterday and she is bfing and plans to pump when she goes back to work, yay) I had him look at her. He confirmed it. I went and got some GV tonight, but am going to do a search on what else I can do for me. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by awinkler View Post
My midwife suggested that I ask my baby to open his mouth wide, and show him. This admittedly sounds a little funny, but newborns do imitate facial expressions. So, I would say, "Open wide!" (in a cutesy voice of course), and show my DS my mouth wide open.
Absolutely. My guy imitated our faces even before we left the hospital. That was only 42 hours after he arrived, so it was early!

I can't remember what else I did.

We too got yeast. I put GV on my nipples once a day, for four days. That sure did turn him purple! Don't schedule any important photo session for probably 1.5 weeks.

I would put lanolin on my nipples BEFORE a nursing session. It eased his latch-on b/c I was slippery. And by the time he was full, the lanolin was gone, so it didn't create a happy environment for yeast to stay.

However, the thrush in DS was gone long before my own yeast was gone...I should have battled it with grapefruit seed extract, but that was horrible tasting and one day I took it AND ate a grapefruit, and DS reacted with a dipe rash.
So I stopped both b/c it scared me... it just took a LONG time to blast my own yeast out (gack, it got into my armpits...do NOT paint your pits with GV unless you know for sure you won't need anyone to see your underarms!!!)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Oh! The other thing that helped DS get his mouth open more was cranio-sacral therapy. We found a massage therapist with the CST training, he had one session, and his whole face changed over that day. The next nursing was SO much nicer, he could open his mouth wider immediately. I love that work!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.