Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD (12 months) is into biting me ALL the time now. She got her first two teeth on the bottom about a month ago and is now getting her two top teeth. Those things are sharp

Today she bit me 4 times throughout the day. I don't know what to do, I actually had thoughts of weaning today as I was crying out in pain for the fourth time. I really don't want to wean her...she is definitely not ready and I think 12 months is too young anyway. But what should I do? Every reaction I have makes her laugh and bite harder.

Things I have tried:

Prying her gums apart with my finger--if I can actually fit it in there it works, but she always clamps down harder and giggles as I'm getting my finger in there.

Plugging her nose--this actually makes her laugh hysterically. I don't know why she thinks it's so funny, but as she laughs she chomps down real hard before she lets go.

Screaming out in pain--just a natural reaction on my part, although I try real hard to keep quiet since DD thinks Mommy yelling is funny.

Everytime she bites I put her down and don't nurse her for a while. If DH is home I hand her over to him and leave the room (or the house). I also tell her "Ouch. Don't bite" in a firm and serious voice, but that has no effect whatsoever.

I have no idea what to do. I'm beginning to dread nursing her. She nurses 5 or 6 times a day. Please someone give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey mama...I feel your pain. My son has chomped the nipple now and then. It seems that you are doing all the right things...what a good mama. I know it is frustrating and painful but don't give up yet.

The one thing I did with Seren when he was teething and more opt to bite was not to feed him unless I knew he was hungry and in the mood for serious nursing...instead of "mama, i sure like this chi-chi in my mouth." That made him focus on the feeding part.

When you say "plugging her nose" I'm guessing you did this by pulling her into your breast? I did that a few times and of course he let go in order to breathe. But I still had to endure the initial pain.

You might try some homeopathic remedy for her teething if you think this is why she is biting. Chamomile works well, as well as the Hyland's teething tablets and gel.

Does she chomp on other things? Toys, biscuits? It's so hard to give advice to a baby that I don't know. They all are so different, but she is fortunate to have a mama so willing to keep with the nursing.

I don't know if this was much help, but I just want you to know that I'll tell my baby to send "no no" vibes to your little one!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.