Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has been on the waiting list for several years. I did not want to enroll her when she was 4 because I did not want her to go to school everyday at that age. Last year, the school told us that they did not have openings for 5 year olds. This year we really want her to get in! The school says they have openings but the main teacher will make the decisions when she comes back in August.

I left a message for the main teacher to call me when she returns. Do you think there is a way to communicate my support for the school and desire for my daughter to get in without sounding pushing? Maybe I shouldn't worry about sounding pushing. Should I write her a letter?

What do ya all think?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's hard, many M. schools won't take older children, and that's frustrating when there aren't very many of them and you have to sit on a waiting list!

There actually is a valid reason for this - the program is a progression of independence that begins with the first year, and it can be difficult for an older child to adjust to the classroom culture. That said, many will accept a few older children if they feel the fit is right. I imagine that the head teacher will be looking for children who can fit in without too much disruption. And of course, on your end, you'll want to make sure the the classroom fits your daughter's needs. So maybe talk with the head teacher about your daughter's experiences up till now: will they help her be ready for the independence that is expected in the M. environment? If she already is independently getting dressed, helping prepare her own meals, etc., I'd mention that to the teacher.

Does that make sense? I worked as a 3-6 M. teacher until I had my baby, and those are the sorts of things I'd want to know about a new 5-year-old. I'd want her to be able to transition as painlessly as possible, both for her own good and for the good of the group. I'll bet that's what you and the teacher are both looking for as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, ochoco! That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts