Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having contractions on and off for the past fifteen hours and for the past three hours they are really getting intense and painful. They are anywhere from 16 minutes to five minutes apart usually about seven or eight minutes apart though. I thought I could do this childbirth drug free but these contractions are brutal so I'm not so sure now.
Can anyone give me advice on how to get through them? I've noticed that they seem to hurt more when I'm lying down so I've finally decided to sit on my exercise ball or stand which has helped a little.
I still haven't called my midwife. I was told to call when my contractions are 5-6 minutes apart for an hour and I'm not there yet!

Thanks!

*UPDATE*

I had the baby! I finally decided to go to the hospital when my contractions went from 13 minutes or so apart down to 2-3 minutes apart. After the third hard contraction of being 3 minutes apart I thought we better head over to the hospital. We got to the hospital at 11:30 am and I was 6 cm dilated (I was only finger tip dilated the previous day) and my bag was bulging. I was having a few contractions here and there which were painful but bearable. Then all of a sudden my water broke and I felt an intense pain and the urge to push. I begged for an epidural right after this happened. My husband ran out to get the midwife who checked me and told me I was complete and to start pushing. It was so intense and painful but I was able to get the baby out in 15 minutes and I had the baby at 12:30 pm, only an hour after our arrival to the hospital. So I had my drug free childbirth!
I was so glad I labored at home for a the most part because laboring on the bed in the hosipal was not fun. I felt much better being able to walk around at home and deal with my contractions there.

Thank you ladies for all the help and encouragement! Now I need to adjust to life with a newborn and 2.5 year old!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Not in your DDC, but had 2 natural births, so... here's my 2 cents... I really believe that alot of times, the pain of childbirth is your body's way of telling you which position to get in to best facilitate the birth. In my opinion, if you have been laboring for that long, and it's been painful for that long, the baby's not in a good position to be born. Do not get into any position that hurts worse, get into any position that feels better for you. Also, please try many different positions, to hopefully turn the baby into a more favorable birth position. Just my opinion. Good luck! I'm so excited for you!!! You CAN do this!
ETA: Also, what seemed to work for me was to: 1. stare at a spot on the wall and focus on it 2. concentrate on counting during contractions 3. breath deeply with the contraction- preferable looking into someone else's eyes, as they are counting out loud with you, as you concentrate on what they are saying... this was VERY effective for me whan I hit transition and thought I was going to die. Although it couldn't be my dh, b/c some messed up part of me wanted to giggle when he stared into my eyes! and RELAX (I know... easier said then done, but it's true. If you tense up, it's worse.)

·
Registered
506 Posts
not in your ddc either but i say Call the Midwife. she doesn't have to go to you immediately but maybe she can suggest some things to help you deal with the discomfort / positioning.
good luck! hang in there!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, thank you for the tips! I spoke with the midwife on call but forgot to ask her about dealing with my contractions. My contractions were 4-6 minutes apart but are now back up to being up to 13 minutes apart, still painful just not as close together. I'm hoping they become closer together again so I can head over to the hospital. I could go now but I'd hate to be sent home! I've had some bloody show so I'm assuming it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Get in the shower, it always helps me. If you need a break and you are wanting to slow labor down so you can rest get in the bathtub.

Keri

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sweetie
!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had a labor like you are describing. My contractions never did get closer together. Enjoy the breaks. Delilah was born posterior, and it was hard, but totally worth it and you can do it!! The birth ball helped a lot....sit on it and lean head over side of couch or get on knees and lean on it (that actually helped her descend), a little juice, good music, the bath. Good mantras..."I'm doing this!" "I can do this!" "I'm going to meet my baby!" "I can do anything for 1 minute!" Whatever sounds good to you. Keep asking yourself where you want to be. Sometimes it helps to turn a baby if you rock on hands and knees.

YOU ARE DOING IT, MAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hapahaolegirl View Post
I thought I could do this childbirth drug free but these contractions are brutal so I'm not so sure now.
Thanks!
You are probably gone, but guess what-- you ARE doing this drug-free right now! There is no "how can I do this" because you ARE doing it!

Sitting is bad for me. I tend to walk, move, get in water. I don't talk during bad cxs. When the cx comes, I give in, I don't fight. I make sure my belly is as loose as possible. I focus on letting go but feeling (not avoiding) the cx.

I second what the pps said-- all great advice!!!!

I am SO excited for you!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
I am SO happy for you-- the birth sounds wonderful and now you have your babe!

We need to meet up IRL at a NINO meeting or something-- let our toddlers play while we talk babywearing!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Congratulations Kristen!!! I'm sooo happy for you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.