Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight we were at a rally held outside. Madalyn was hungry so I nursed her. Dh was kinda glaring at me and whispering that I wasn't being very discreet. I don't think anyone could see anything, I could barely see myself. I finally told him if he didn't shut up I was going to lift my shirt all the way up. On the way home he finally explained why he was acting that way. Apparently there was a man behind me who was just a little too interested in what I was doing for dh's comfort. He said the man was staring. And he didn't like it. SO it's not really that dh doesn't like me breastfeeding in public, he doesn't like men watching me like that. How can I help him with this?

Also, it really ticked me off that the woman in front of us covered her son's eyes. He was only 2 or 3. Grr!!!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Is your daughter tiny still? My husband was way too freaked out by NIP in the beginning. Only my continued nursing in public made him realize that it's not a sexual act, an exhibition, or anything else silly like that.

He got over it. Whose nipples are they, anyways? Yours or his?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamies...robert10x.html

This story was just written in response to people being uncomfortable with NIP. You might show it to your husband.

I would be really upset if my DH were not supportive of NIP. There would be some major discussion about it until he could at least not be insulting about it, or at least sit there quietly and respectfully while I fed his baby. He SHOULD be helping you with a blanket, sitting close to you and talking to you, and glaring back at people who might stare (NOT glaring at you!!!).

Hope he comes around soon!

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
At least you got to the heart of the reason why he was uncomfrotable with you nip---it was the other man and not you. So maybe thanking dh for being concerned about this other man and it makes you feel good that he cares so much for you and doesn't want to some creepy guy looking at you. A compliment can go along way and it helps to validate his feelings. And also pointing out this usually doesn't happen that someone stares. Also maybe coming up with ideas of how to handle in the future if some creepy guy stares. Good luck and keep nip!

Kim Ann

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama25
At least you got to the heart of the reason why he was uncomfrotable with you nip---it was the other man and not you. So maybe thanking dh for being concerned about this other man and it makes you feel good that he cares so much for you and doesn't want to some creepy guy looking at you. A compliment can go along way and it helps to validate his feelings. And also pointing out this usually doesn't happen that someone stares. Also maybe coming up with ideas of how to handle in the future if some creepy guy stares. Good luck and keep nip!

Kim Ann
Thank you. Yes, there was a reason, since the other guy was watching me, I totally understand that. I will definitely try your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by plantmommy
He should have told the creepy guy to stop staring, not tell you to stop nursing.
Yep...why you get in trouble for the guy behind you...my ex used to do that kind of thing...usually when his friends were over...finally one night he was glaring at me from the kitchen while I was attempting to nurse dd...I said "are you guys perverts because C is scared to death for me to nurse the baby when you are here" :LOL

The guys were like...very casual...no big deal to me, my wife nursed, we were all bf etc etc...my ex dh shut up and never mentioned it again.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama25

Kim Ann

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of the mama's on another list I am on says she tells people "Don't Stare, cause she won't share". That won't help with your dh though. I am only now NIP on a regular basis, and it is only continually doing it that helps my DH to accept it. This is also my third baby, and he is 7 months old. I wish I had done it more from the beginning so it wouldn't be such a big deal now.

Teena

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DH didn't tell me to stop nursing, he just said I wasn't being very discreet. He would have rather had me cover with a blanket. I did tell him next time he needs to say something to them, not me. He just has a hard time with guys looking at his wife, even if I am feeding his child.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts