Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday and Thursday baby G had a 101 degree rectal temp. Sluggish and cranky, nursed but very enthusiastically.

Today he has a rash on his backside diaper line area. Tonight it is on his back, chest and face.

They are little bumps that are red. Some of them are in patches that are no larger than a dime at the most. The ones on his back are more single bumps and on his chest they are more clumpy.

I gave him for the first time blueberries last night. Could this be an allergic reaction to the berries or something like chicken pox?

He is 11 months old, and BF like a champ. Do I need to take him to prompt care?

: I am going nuts worrying.
:

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Chicken pox usually start out as a mild cold. Then a few days later, you will notice one or two raised pink bumps. They look like ant bites. Eventually (within the day) they will be a water filled blister.

They usually will start out in the hottest area of his body. Body heat makes them worse. Most kids will get them first behind the ears, or on the back of the neck. The diaper area, around the elastic is a favorite place too. Boys get them in the private area. (that's uncomfortable)

If he has had the CP shot, they will be mild. If not, he will have a worse case of them....but it is usually not a big deal. Keep his body cool. Give him Tylenol even if he seems to feel fine (to keep his temp down) and dress him very light. If you don't think it's chicken Pox, you don't need to keep giving him Tylenol. (Unless he needs it anyway)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
how is your ds today?

We're just getting over cp and on ds1 it started out looking like a typical rash over his back and chest, but by the next day (after a 101 fever) it just looked like cp--bigger spots, fluid filled vesicles, then spread up his neck then out--legs and arms and face last.

Personally I wouldn't do tylenol or anything for such a low grade fever. We got through cp with oatmeal baths, calamine+aloe, and a homeopathic remedy.

From what I remember blueberries can be allergenic. There are also other more summertime type rashes (cp is usually winter/spring) like coxsackie (my neighbor gets this every summer)and there are a lot of viruses that have a slight fever+rash.

if you're worried I'd take him to see someone.
good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was not the pox
It is just some rash. We went swimming yesterday and it looks better today. Perhaps the chlorine helped dry it up.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts