Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I know for sure. I see NO fleas on him. I have upped his organ meat and he has eaten about five salmon heads in the past month (that was the most I could get him to eat - they were huge though!). I bathed him and did a vinegar rinse at the end. I have not put the flea medicine on him again. He is itching like crazy! So, I need to find out for sure if he has any fleas so I can give him flea medicine again if that is the case. Maybe the changes I made above solved the original itching problem but now that I stopped giving him flea medicine he has fleas? I can't seem to find any though.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Get a white paper.

Comb him/ shake his fur (on the white paper if he is small enough) - otherwise put any "dirt" you get during the combing/fur shaking onto the white paper.

Wet the "dirt". If it is flea dirt - it will start to spread a bit (as flea dirt is bits of dried blood).

Good luck!

Kathy

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kathy, I had forgotten that trick! I just tried it. He is pretty big so I took a flea comb to several different areas w/a white paper under and added water to it all. I didn't see any red.
So, I guess it isn't fleas. Isn't that strange that I actually want it to be fleas? But, with that all I'd have to do is flea medicine....

I think I will try this flea test again later.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, he was itching this bad before the bath too. But I used Earthpet all natural shampoo & conditioner in one (because it's the one I had on hand and I just wanted to give him a bath and get it over with). And the vinegar rinse was strong. I did the bath the way you said. With the soap in a bucket of warm water (after first getting him wet). I did the vinegar the same way (after rinsing all the soap off). Let it sit a little on him and then did a final rinse.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, Joanna, I'm looking at my thread from August on this and I still need to do this recipe that you gave me (hope you don't mind me X posting it). I have been proactive. I'm just a busy lady with a lot going on. But this will be next on my list. I should've read that thread again before posting. I will also get that Equis (sp?) shampoo that you mentioned and be even more careful about thoroughly rinsing him next time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekimballs
This is the recipe known as "Grow Hair on a Doorknob." It's famous in show-dog circles for skin and coat problems of all kinds. This is basically a mixture of fat, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and biotin. The supplements (mirra-coat, lixotinic) are horse supplements and are not artificial.

1 lb. Peanut Butter
1 lb. honey
1 lb. diaglo (powder) or Mirra coat
1 pt. Lavitamin also known as Lixotinic (Can be found at http://www.kvvet.com/)

Have peanut butter at room temperature. Mix all ingredients together This will be very thick and sticky. Stores indefinitely in refrigerator. Make into balls according to size of the dog.

Small dogs should get 1-3 teaspoons daily,
Large dogs should get 1-2 tablespoons daily.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I would skip the vinegar this time--canine skin is VERY sensitive and it may have been too acidic. And I know I belabor this, but rinse until you feel foolish rinsing for that long, then rinse another few minutes. Really dig your fingers in the coat and don't let any slickness stay on. I have left shampoo on skin before, even as careful as I usually am, and it literally burns a hole in the skin. They itch like crazy and it gets horribly flakey and scabby.

EQyss is the shampoo for itchy skin. MicroTek is what you want for itchy skin, but Premiere is good for general bathing. The Micro-Tek spray is absolutely excellent too.

When I make the Grow Hair on a Doorknob, I can get the Mirra-Coat at my horse feed store. Lixotinic is harder to find. When I made it this summer I substituted a pound of a Missing Link-type dog vitamin and added a half-cup or cup of salmon oil. I am feeding it right now because Clue blew her coat rather catastrophically about a couple of months ago (she did her normal birthday coat blow, then did it again after her first heat, leaving her looking more like a beagle than a corgi), and Bronte is going through her puppy coat change so was looking rather ratty. It really brightens up the coats and brings in the undercoat thick and strong.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If the above advice doesn't help, it could be allergies. We just got back from the vet yeaterday and he said DD2 (dear dog?
) appears to have allergies. He recommended some over-the-counter Benedryl. We're trying it to see if there's any improvement.

Our dog had really red, irritated skin on the feet, belly and "armpits".

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dd2 = dear dog 2 ?

Those are areas he has gotten irritated skin before. Lately it's been his rear, which made me think fleas. But yeah, if all this stuff doesn't work then the only thing left is diet, right?

The more I think about the rinsing though the more I think it's definitely contributing.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaAllNatural View Post
But yeah, if all this stuff doesn't work then the only thing left is diet, right?

Our vet actually said that dogs can have environmental allergies, like people do. I think a skin irritant or diet is probably more likely, but it is something to consider, if you've tried to account for everything else.
With B - we haven't changed his diet or shampoo & we handled the flea issue we had a few weeks ago, so I'm kind of at a loss.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You know, I have always suspected that with him. We traveled a couple of hours into the country to get him and everyone here gets seasonal type allergies. The second I brought him home his eyes got goopy and his nose always seemed a little runny. He does seem somewhat better these days than the first couple months he was here. I wonder if stuff like nettles & eyebright would work on dogs like it does on people if that is the case.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I would switch. Purina One is a pretty low-quality food. I've seen that kind of red feet/armpits many times and I would respond by switching the diet, not by loading the dog up on meds (even natural ones). I just responded to somebody else with some good diets, but here are my preferences (in order)

1. Raw
2. Grain-free kibble (EVO, Sojourner Farms Europa, Prairie, Wellness CORE, etc.)
3. Frozen Bil-Jac
4. Super-premium kibbles: Solid Gold, Canidae, Back to Basics, Natural Balance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.