Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm growing spagetti squash and have a bunch of big ones, like 8-12 inches or so, but they aren't the darder yellow I've seen in the grocery store. How do I know when they're ready to pick? Thanks!

Also, my mom suggested egg shells in the garden compost pile, egg shells, really?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
egg shells are excellent for gardens. As for the squash I'm not sure. I pull my pumpkins a month before Halloween so they're turn orange.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Here's what I've read recently. "winter squash and pumpkins should be left on the vine until frost threatens, or the vines die off". Another sign is firm skin to allow for good storage. It should be tough to nick the skin with your fingernail. This book also reccomended sun curing the squash for a couple of days for good storage. Mine are huge already too, so I'm wondering how big by the time "frost threatens"?
:
:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all! I didn't anticipate waiting that long, the frost? I guess I could always try one and see how it tastes, this is my first year gardening though, so it kills me to waste anything! How long do these squashes store for, like weeks, months? And you just leave them in a cool place?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how can I store my spagetti squash, short and long term (and how long is short and long term?
)?
Also, what color should they be when ripe, yellow, or more pale?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
You can store it in a cold storeage room or in a dark/cool cupboard. The ones I've boughten are a pale yellow when ripe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts