Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
i was recently evicted. I went to a shelter for families with my 2 sons who are under 4 and very active. In general, i use gentle discipine/consensual living approach with them. When you become homeless in this state you go to a central 'shelter' where they process your case which can take up to 12hours. There's no food, (some quasi junk food is on offer which is not adequate) or diversion for children. Though intended for children, this place is not at all child friendly. If you arrive after 5pm, you are bussed to a hotel where you spend the night, and then are woken at 6h30 am to be bussed back to the central location where you wait for up to 12hours. IN this time, you go from one appointment to the next, where you are required each time to exit the building in freezing winter weather, and then re enter at the other side. Did i mention this is for families, and there are many young children?

We arrived after 5 (had i been told, and was not, though i rang before hand to get information, i would have gotten there before 5 to avoid the over night hotel stay), and therefore were in this situation from 5pm until about the same time the following day.

During this time, i had the interveiw with the case worker. By this time, i was exhausted, sleep depirved and under fed, as were both my boys. They were doing the best they could, but were a little rowdy, and not easily 'controlled'.

During the interview, they were not behaving well, but were not damaging anything, or doing anything critical. The caseworker (who had completely control over where i would end up) told me 'Control you kids'.
I tried to do so kindly at first, using gentle words, diversion, and so on. Did i mention i was exhausted? I nursed younger one (during which time older one kept hitting his feet)
The man kept saying 'control your kids'.
They ran down the hallway, i asked the man to close the door, he said he couldnt. This went on for about 25mins.

Eventually i snapped, and shouted at my kids, 'Just do as your told, this man is telling us to do as we are told!!' My 4yo started crying.

In walked 3 people (i presume from the ACS since it was right next door)

The caseworker said, 'i am mandated to report you to the ACS'

"For what? ' I said,' You have never shouted at your kids? No parent has ever shouted at their kids?'
"Im mandated' he said.

So that is that.

This place is ACS trigger happy, and the slightest thing (co sleeping among them no doubt') and they report it to the ACS. I am currently in a shelter.

Please advise me how to protect myself, my legal rights.

I do not think shouting at your children under these circumstances warrants a call to the ACS. ( i am thinking of many previous threads on this issue here, and on one where the OP got a lawyer)
Tia
Maya

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Do they want parents to abuse their kids?

Cross post this thread over in your area so mamas who aren't facing ACS can send complaints about the shelter processing. For some stuff, it takes people who aren't in the system to get the system to be willing to change. If you complain, you're whiny and ungrateful, if they complain it's taxpayers getting mad at the government.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Do they want parents to abuse their kids?

Cross post this thread over in your area so mamas who aren't facing ACS can send complaints about the shelter processing. For some stuff, it takes people who aren't in the system to get the system to be willing to change. If you complain, you're whiny and ungrateful, if they complain it's taxpayers getting mad at the government.
Thanks everyone.
What do you mean 'mmy area'? Do you mean geographical area?
I saw the caseworker again today. He told me the ACS didnt accept the complaint, because it wasnt ACS worthy. He apologized and said he felt mandated, because i 'made a scene'

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post
Thanks everyone.
What do you mean 'mmy area'? Do you mean geographical area?
I saw the caseworker again today. He told me the ACS didnt accept the complaint, because it wasnt ACS worthy. He apologized and said he felt mandated, because i 'made a scene'
Over in 'Finding Your Tribe' which is located in the top section of the main forum page under "introductions"

That caseworker
I hope he still did his job competently and got you into a decent shelter that is a safe place for you and your children.

that ACS was sensible enough to know it wasn't ACS worthy.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Sounds like it's already been resolved, but I was just about to tell you to ask for something in writing from ACS that explains exactly: 1) what the allegation against you was (i.e. exactly what behavior someone felt was mandated to report), 2) what type of child abuse/neglect they're saying you allegedly did, and 3) exactly what the ruling process is/will be on whether they will "substantiate" or "unsubstantiate" (confirm yes it happened or confirm no it did not happen).

My heart goes out to you about your eviction, and I know you've got way more important things on your mind than teaching someone a lesson about what's mandated and what's not. But I swear if I was ever able to talk to that person I'd definitely say "Do you realize that your lack of knowledge about what's actually reportable and not reportable causes families and children distress instead of helping? Why would you intentionally cause distress?"

I wish you and your sons a safe, comfortable place to live, very very soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.