Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD started with a clear runny nose on Friday which progressed over the weekend to a green/yellow thick discharge, fever of 100.5 to 103.3, ear pulling, lethargy, and crankiness. I knew something was not right and this wasn't getting any better so I took her to the doctor yesterday. She was diagnosed with a strep infection in her ear and they gave her antibiotics to help. I am usually not a fan of them but I felt in this case it was warranted.

Anyways, she is still completely miserable and I am out of ideas to make her more comfortable. I am giving tylenol for the pain and to help congestion we have been sitting in the closed bathroom with the hot water on for steam and added a few drops of camphor and eucalyptus oil. I have the humidifier runnig in the living room with the same oils. I am also doing warm dry compresses on her ear and tons of cuddling and nursing (trying - it is very hard for her to eat with her nose plugged) I have put breast milk in her nose to help break it up and then follow with he nasal aspirator but it makes her so upset I am hesitant to do it and haven't since yesterday. Today she is having bloody mucous on the right side - same side as the infected ear.

Suggestions mamas please! I feel helpless that there is not much I can do for her . I am wiling to try anything right now. TIA

·
Registered
438 Posts
poor baby and mama!

my dd has a cold now, too (tho not in her ears--yikes!) i know how you feel about the nasal asp, mine hates it too. but she has to eat, so i do it.
i also used a decongestant for the first time b/c of her lack of nursing despite all other efforts. she responded very well and i've used it sparingly to insure eating and sleeping.

good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.