Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the Tiny Birds longies pattern. I've never knit more than a few simple things (scarf, simple toy..) so I'm a real beginner (and driving myself crazy looking at all the cool things I wish I could do
).
I really have no idea how to make it into a size large and was wondering if one of you sweet mamas could help me?

Also, about how much yarn would a pair take, and how long to knit?

I've been wanting to do this for years now and I just want to DO it already!
I'm sure once I've done a pair it won't be hard to do more

Right...?

*Sigh* thanks

~Hannah, an inspired but rather overwhelmed Mama at the moment
~

·
Registered
286 Posts
In general, start off with more stitches, knit a longer rise (so knit more rounds in the body of the longies), and knit a longer inseam. You need to know your gauge to know how many stitches to cast on and how many rounds to knit in both the body and the legs.

Regarding the amount of yarn needed--it depends on the thickness of the yarn. For a large, I would get two 100-gram skeins of worsted weight wool (US size 8 needles).

It takes me a while to knit longies--about 8-10 hours, I think, though my knitting time is often interrupted by my baby, so it's hard for me to say for sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used worsted yarn and bigger needles than it suggested, so my guage was about 20/4" instead of the 24/4" that it suggests... thus automatically making it a bit bigger. And I think I also cast on an extra few stitches (I think I used 50 or 53.. I wanted a multiple of three - since it was k2, p1 rib - plus an extra two stitches so I could sew up the seams without it looking weird in the ribbing.) It worked fine for my kiddo who was 25 pounds at the time, and still fits at 32 pounds.
As far as rise and inseam, the beauty of knitting for a babe of your own is that you can measure on the child. (I had to wait till my squirmer was asleep to measure, but it worked.) I used a cheapy acrylic yarn and just did shorts as I just wanted to see if I COULD do it before investing real money into it.. worked out well and so I did longies as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.